Basketball Statistics Forum | Foro de las Estadísticas del Baloncesto
Oct 17, 2017, 01:54:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Basketball SWARM Defense Series at HOOPSKING

News: Basketball Coach's Corner New Notes & Photos !

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Recommend O' Site !

If you're using AdBlock PlusIf you're using AdBlock Plus or some other adblocking software, please know that You are free to do so and we shall not try to stop you.
If you're using AdBlock Plus

Just know that, although you are clearly not interested in clicking any of the advertisements on this website, ad-blocking prevents us from continuing to produce the content we do provide free of charge, and we politely request you to kindly ‘whitelist’ our site thereby allowing our harmless and unobtrusive ads to load and the impressions counting to run !.

Thank YOU !
The eBA Team

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: § Torneos & Eventos de Baloncesto en el Mundo Hispano • Basketball Tournaments, Events & News from the Hispanic World  (Read 177751 times)
Coach Berger

« Reply #31 on: Sep 23, 2012, 07:34:56 PM »

Torneos & Eventos de Baloncesto en el Mundo Hispano • Basketball Tournaments, Events & News from the Hispanic World

Gasol and Co look to 2014

Spain have begun to shake off the disappointment of coming second best in another title showdown at the Olympics with the United States.

They are looking to the future with optimism, hoping to strengthen their status as one of the dominant sides in international basketball.

Next year in Slovenia, the Spaniards will go after a third straight EuroBasket gold medal while the following year, Pau Gasol and Co will host the inaugural FIBA Basketball World Cup.

Formally known as the FIBA World Championship, the World Cup will have 24 teams and two sides already have their places in the tournament field.

The USA qualified as Olympic gold-medal winners and Spain have a spot reserved as the host nation.

The World Cup will be the latest major basketball event to be held in Spain.

Only five years ago, Spain staged the EuroBasket and reached the Final before being upset in a thriller by Russia.

"After the European Championship in Madrid in 2007, our enthusiasm for the World Cup is at its maximum,” Los Angeles Lakers superstar Gasol said.

“Let's see if we can win it.

"It's going to be a very special tournament and to play it at home gives us an added motivation.

“I hope that we will all arrive in good health and with a lot of will to face this new challenge."

Gasol is an internationally renowned player, one who was named the MVP of the 2006 World Championship and EuroBasket 2009.

He has also captured NBA titles with the Lakers.

Another iconic figure in the Spanish game is Juan Carlos Navarro, a long-time player at Barcelona who only one year ago was named MVP of the EuroBasket in Lithuania.

Navarro and Gasol have been lynchpins for a national team that has risen to the number two spot in the FIBA Men's Ranking.

"Our great aim is to continue to be at the top, to grow,” Navarro said.

“We are a team that is respected by everybody.

“This is our objective.

“The key is to continue to have ambition and not to settle."

Spain are much more than two players.

Another key man is Gasol’s younger brother, Marc, who played in his first NBA All-Star Game last year as a representative of the Memphis Grizzlies and has been in the national team set-up since Spain’s world title triumph in 2006.

He is an elite center in the game and will be a leading figure next year in Slovenia when the Spaniards go for a hat-trick of EuroBasket gold medals.

That tournament will be a qualifying event for the World Cup.

Even though Spain already have their place assured as hosts in 2014, reaching the top of the podium next summer in Ljubljana will be an aim.

“A European Championship is sufficiently important,” he said.

“We don't need any more motivation.

“It will be complicated, difficult and long but it would not be any other way.”

One of the players who played a vital role in the Americans’ 2010 world title win in Istanbul, Eric Gordon, was hurt for much of the last NBA season and did not make the final cut for the USA Olympic team.

Gordon will try to return to the squad in time for the World Cup, and he has an idea of which team will be the biggest hurdle to clear for the USA.

“Spain is the only team with the potential to beat us,” Gordon said in Bilbao this week, where he was promoting an NBA event.

“In my country, the World Cup is growing in importance and we’ll keep working with the aim of winning. We will have a great team.”

FIBA

Visit: The eBA Stats Group Basketball Books & DVDs STORE
Black Jack

« Reply #30 on: Aug 20, 2012, 09:57:15 PM »

Baloncesto en España y Latinoamérica • Basketball in Spain and Latin America

Can it get any closer?

I was sitting in the Poliedro de Caracas when I started doing the maths.

After Russia had easily dispatched of Angola to open Quarter-Final day at the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament, we witnessed three absolutely cracking games, finished off by Lithuania’s last-minute escape against Puerto Rico.

As I poured back over the results I saw eight of the 16 games to that stage had been decided by 10 points or less.

Heading to the FIBA Archive I saw the corresponding tournament in Greece four years earlier just three of 19 games were so close. There was a very big gap between the haves and have nots back then.

At the Beijing Olympics the figure was only seven of 38 decided by 10 points or less, but this year it was 19 of 38 in London.

It’s a welcome trend, especially when teams like Venezuela, Tunisia, Great Britain, Nigeria, Angola and the Dominican Republic are challenging or even beating some traditional powers.

Staying power
Of course, we have seen some of the lower ranked teams challenge before – the 2006 FIBA World Championship was a sensational tournament for close games and upsets – the key is whether these countries can maintain that level of play given their comparative lack of funding.

This is where I think FIBA are on the right track in turning their focus towards strengthening national federations rather than just continental bodies.

It’s easy to have ideas though, the challenge is whether this can be translated to real results on the ground.

I hope so, for international basketball to reach its potential we need a large number of countries competitive at the highest level, and it’s not like soccer where a lesser team can sit in their own half and play for a draw or a late goal from a set play.

About time!
Despite the closeness of the tournament I had a rare triumph with my predictions. After mixed results for the 2008 Olympics and the 2009 EuroBasket, and a very average effort in Turkey in 2010, I finally got it right.

My top four was in correct order, and had it not been for Nigeria’s horrific about face from their Caracas form the rest of the predictions would have been very close to the mark too.

It was nice to see Nigeria give France a real run for their money in the last game with Chamberlain Oguchi going off, and I hope that gives the program some impetus going forward.

After seeing such a committed unit in Venezuela, it would be a real shame if the players lost interest in the national program. There are obvious things the Nigerians can work on to have a successful Afrobasket and become a dangerous opponent at the FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain in 2014.

Tricky business
Before their Semi-Final against Russia in Caracas I asked coach Ayo Bakare if he had any more tricks up his sleeve and he answered honestly “have I had any?”

Most observers were impressed with how Bakare managed his team in that tournament, giving them a basic structure from which to exploit their skills from ball reversals, post-ups and on-balls.

Like the imports they are in good competitions around the world, his players made tough shots when required to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

But come London opposition teams were paying them more respect and studying their tendencies, and with the buzz from Venezuela gone they simply looked impotent on offence.

A few more tricks to get some easy buckets could make the world of difference, as would some better utilisation of their athletic defence to generate more open court play.

Boom or bust?
Finally, the time is coming for assessments of how the Australians performed.

I will do a more comprehensive review in coming weeks, but the men’s tournament was a remarkable replica of the Boomers’ efforts in Beijing.

The team hit the ground walking, playing the wrong style of game for the talents they possessed. Late runs against Spain and Brazil disguised what were disappointing performances.

As in 2008 though, the second half of the tournament saw a different Boomers team, one that played the aggressive style Aussies know and love before falling respectably to the USA.

It was a tournament of two distinct halves, so I will take my time dissecting the good and the bad, of which there was plenty of both.

If you’re up for some reading on those contrasts in the meantime try this.

As for the Opals, that will take a little time too. There were a lot of expectations in Australia, leading to the bronze being viewed as a disappointment by some.

Without Penny Taylor though, third was certainly not an underachievement. The big question is not about placings, it is about how they went about it and how they can ensure the program remains amongst the elite for the next four year span.

Paulo Kennedy from FIBA

Visit: The eBA Stats Group Portal
XXL131

« Reply #29 on: Jul 06, 2012, 04:38:42 AM »

On the right path

The huge moment has arrived for Venezuelan basketball.

The country is hosting the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT) in Caracas, with the 12-team event tipping off on Monday.

Three places for the London Games are there for the taking.

Forget the fact that Venezuela, who finished fifth at last year's FIBA Americas Championship, are among the underdogs.

The players expect to claim one of the Olympic berths and the Venezuela fans expect them to as well.

With expectations comes pressure and sometimes, there’s too much pressure.

In a friendly game against the Dominican Republic on Thursday night, Venezuela’s most famous player, New Orleans Hornets guard Greivis Vazquez, hit a three-ball to send the game to overtime.

But the Venezuelans, who are coached by Eric Musselman, then lost, 88-84.

Vazquez was just three of 14 from three-point range and he also had five turnovers.

It was friendly game, a warm-up.

But the sense of urgency is there for all to see.

Venezuela’s players are hustling and diving for loose balls.

They’re fighting against very good teams.

The players know they need to start turning on all cylinders if they are to realize the aim of London.

“There were bad decisions taken (against the Dominican Republic), including by me,” Vazquez said.

“But this defeat serves as a learning curve.

“We must turn the page and continue to work.

“The important game is on Monday.

“People have to lower the pressure.”

Venezuela were due to take on Korea on Saturday before opening the OQT against Nigeria on Monday.

The best chance for the Venezuelans to reach London is to win against Nigeria and then carry the confidence of that victory to another one against Lithuania.

If Venezuela win their first two games - and that’s a big if - the self-belief would grow and the fans would have the opportunity to give the team an extra push in the clashes to follow.

More than anything at this moment, perspective is needed for Venezuelan basketball.

It’s okay to dream, but there is also reality.

Consider the FIBA Rankings: Greece (No 4), Lithuania (No 5), Russia (No 11), Angola (No 15), Puerto Rico (No 16), New Zealand (No 18) and Nigeria (No 21) are ranked higher than Venezuela, who are 22nd.

The Greeks, Russians and Lithuanians all played at the Beijing Games and would appear to be the favorites to qualify, although The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM) have experienced players and are still riding an emotional high after last year’s run to the Semi-Finals of the EuroBasket.

The Puerto Ricans and Dominican Republic have extremely good teams.

Venezuela want to play at the Olympics.

But the name of the game simply cannot  just be about reaching London.

The key word that everyone must latch onto is progress.

Is this team getting better?

Of course it is.

Venezuela played not only with passion, but smarts last year in Mar del Plata at the FIBA Americas Championship.

They are growing as a team.

And that’s the message that Vazquez is screaming before the start of the OQT.

At bare minimum, the coming week should serve as a building block for the future of Venezuelan basketball, which has just once had a team at the Olympics and that was in 1992.

“Venezuelan basketball has advanced more in this year than in the last 20,” Vazquez said.

“The important thing is to be together.

“The good thing about this team now is that everyone supports one another and this is something that did not happen in the past.

“And I believe that this is a step forward.”

Jeff Taylor from FIBA Today

Visit: The Basketball Statistics Blogs
belladama

« Reply #28 on: Jul 04, 2012, 04:56:10 AM »

Big hopes after South American and Centrobasket Championships

Things become a little bit different when you travel to a city where the Olympic Games will take place. Everything has something to do with that.

You wake up thinking of the venues and you go to sleep thinking about Australia's Penny Taylor's injury. That's why when I was following the South American and the Centrobasket Championships, I could only think of how the three American teams can get, at least, one of the spots for London at the FIBA Olympic Qualifying tournament (OQT), starting next week.

And I was also thinking about which players would the coaches from Argentina and Brazil choose from the teams that played in Chaco.

First of all, the Dominican Republic were the big winners of these two tournaments.

With coach John Calipari back on the team, with Al Horford fully recovered and with an unstoppable Jack Michael Martínez, DR surprised many as they beat the hosts and favourites, Puerto Rico, in the Final.

Not only that. After a whole year of doubts and injuries, the team was able to demonstrate it still keeps the chemistry it showed at the 2011 FIBA Americas Championship.

It's unsure yet whether the fact that Charlie Villanueva withdrew from playing with the national team this season can be good or not. But it wouldn't be a surprise if that's the case.

Immediately after the Centrobasket was over, the Dominicans lost to Angola in a friendly game which shouldn't be anything terrible, but a good example that the OQT will be probably one of the hardest competitions the team has ever played.

Despite their loss to DR in the Final, Puerto Rico still remain the best American card to win one of the three spots that were all for European teams in 2008.

Carlos Arroyo and Nathan Peavy joined the team after the Centrobasket and are now ready for the action. If they can play as a team, rebound and be patient on offense, Puerto Rico can beat both Greece (in Group A) or Lithuania (in the Quarter-Finals) to get close to playing in an Olympic Games for the first time since they did in Athens, eight years ago.

Therefore, there's nothing to worry about for Puerto Rico after losing the Centrobasket's final to their neighbors.

Before we analyse Venezuela's performance in the South American Championship, we must mention Jamaica's first basketball medal ever. With famous basketball names such as Jerome Jordan, Brian Grant, Weyinmi Rose, Samardo Samuels, Patrick A Ewing and others, the Islanders played like never before and outclassed Panama in the Bronze Medal Game.

Guided by Cleveland Cavaliers centre Samuels, who was helped by New York Knicks big man Jordan and a group of top level players in Europe and the Americas, Jamaica even threated Puerto Rico in the Semi-Finals. As they finished in the top four, they will make their first appearance in next year's FIBA Americas.

We will have time to write about Jamaica and their improvements.

Venezuela were the team that disappointed me the most in last week's tournaments.

With almost their full team, they weren't able to beat a young Argentina roster in either of the two contests they played. And to make it worse, they showed a very bad level in the final game.

Again, nothing to worry about, but a big alert for the tournament Venezuela will host in 2-8 July.

Coach Eric Musselman will now join the team and probably help with many things.

Argentina won the tournament thanks to a respectable generation of young guards helped by the presence of experienced Leo and Juan Gutiérrez.

Both Facundo Campazzo and Nicolás Laprovittola did what they had to in order to earn one of the remaining places in the Olympic squad as a guard. Pablo Prigioni has his ticket ensured and one of the two 21-year-old players will join him.

Finally, Brazil were the team that cared the least about the tournament, while the Olympic players were already gathered and thinking about London.

Martín Seldes from FIBA

Visit: The eBA Basketball & Statistics Encyclopedia

zum_zum

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »

FIBA – Peligra la participación de Dominicana en el Centrobasket

En una charla sobre los venideros torneos Centrobasket, el Sr. Alberto García, Secretario General de FIBA Américas, reveló hoy que República Dominicana “lamentablemente podría quedarse sin participar en el Centrobasket e inclusive del Repechaje por cuestión de una deuda económica con FIBA Américas”.

En la tarde de ayer, García asistió al Sorteo de ambos campeonatos Centrobasket, masculino y femenino, a realizarse en junio en Puerto Rico, y habló para fibaamericas.com sobre la importancia de dichos torneos.

FA (fibaamericas.com) – Hoy en su mensaje dentro del sorteo de los campeonatos Centrobasket, usted hizo hincapié en la importancia que ha cobrado este torneo para la zona.

AG (Alberto García) – El torneo siempre ha sido un referente del gran baloncesto que se juega en Centroamérica y el Caribe. Vemos países como Puerto Rico, México, Cuba, República Dominicana y Panamá entre otros, que traen un alto nivel y hacen de este un campeonato competitivo y muy profesional.

En los últimos años lo que se ha dado es que el escenario, del Centrobasket, ha ido en crecimiento. La rivalidad deportiva entre Dominicana y Puerto Rico es muy atractiva en cuanto a lo comercial y televisivo, y este año el campeonato se va a celebrar en un coliseo de calidad mundial.

FA - ¿Cuán importante es que el torneo se haga en el Coliseo José Miguel Agrelot (“Choliseo”)?

AG – Es una de las mejores vitrinas que tiene América, sin duda alguna. Es un coliseo con capacidad de 17,000 espectadores, con unas facilidades que no tienen nada que envidiarle a cualquier coliseo habilitado para la NBA, y con un potencial comercial increíble. Por otro lado las entradas pueden ser mas económicas y se puede garantizar una buena presencia de publico, lo que le dará un marco realmente importante.

Según los datos que se ofrecieron en la conferencia de prensa del lanzamiento del Centrobasket, este Coliseo en comparación con Estados Unidos, por ejemplo, está en tercera posición, solo detrás del Madison Square Garden de Nueva York y del Staples Center de Los Angeles, en venta de taquilla.  Es excelente que juguemos un torneo de CONCENCABA y de FIBA Américas en este gran espacio.

FA - ¿Y del torneo, en cuanto a lo competitivo, que se puede esperar?

AG – Se puede esperar gran baloncesto, con un grupo de selecciones nacionales aguerridas que vienen a dar lo mejor de sí en la cancha. Tenemos a un equipo anfitrión que se prepara para competir en el Repechaje, por lo que se espera esté con todo sus integrantes. Y ellos tendrán contrincantes que vienen a probar su crecimiento, como lo es la selección de México que viene de hacer un gran papel en los Panamericanos. Además, no debemos olvidar que este evento clasifica a los mejores cuatro equipos al Campeonato FIBA Americas 2013 (premundial para España 2014).

FA – República Dominicana también se encuentra en esa posición de prepararse para el repechaje…

AG – Claro, ellos también deben prepararse para Caracas. Con República Dominicana tenemos una lamentable situación. Su Federación de Baloncesto, la Fedombal, tiene una deuda con FIBA Américas que está amenazando su participación en el Centrobasket e inclusive en el Repechaje.

Esta es una deuda que arrastra consigo la Federación desde su administración pasada, pero que lamentablemente le toca cubrir a su administración actual para que su selección nacional pueda competir internacionalmente.

Yo estoy confiado en que ellos van a pagar, porque estuve en Dominicana el pasado 17 de marzo y  conversé con ambos el Ministro del Deporte y el Presidente del Comité Olímpico y les solicité que ayudaran a esta nueva directiva y ellos me prometieron ayudar a la FEDOMBAL a solucionar la situación.

Sin embargo, si no se paga esa deuda, lamentablemente no podrán participar.

FIBA Américas

Visite: La Clínica eBA EN-LÍNEA de las Estadísticas del Baloncesto
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: