Basketball Statistics Forum | Foro de las Estadísticas del Baloncesto
May 25, 2017, 01:33:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: Coach's Corner 2015 New Notes & Photos !

Home   Help Search Login Register  

CHAMPIONSHIP PRODUCTIONS LAST MINUTE SALE PROMOTION

Coaching DVDs at Championship Productions

This SALE promotion IS ONGOING !

Check out TODAY's SALE PROMOTIONS! or
Check out CHAMPIONSHIP NEWEST BASKETBALL DVDs!

Recommend O' Site !

If you're using AdBlock PlusIf you're using AdBlock Plus or some other adblocking software, please know that You are free to do so and we shall not try to stop you.
If you're using AdBlock Plus

Just know that, although you are clearly not interested in clicking any of the advertisements on this website, ad-blocking prevents us from continuing to produce the content we do provide free of charge, and we politely request you to kindly ‘whitelist’ our site thereby allowing our harmless and unobtrusive ads to load and the impressions counting to run !.

Thank YOU !
The eBA Team

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: • *Entrenamiento, Estadísticas & Comentarios Libres del Baloncesto • Basketball Statistics, Coaching & Free Comments  (Read 168766 times)
Coach Ciento 1

« Reply #42 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »

Entrenamiento, Estadísticas & Comentarios Libres del Baloncesto • Basketball Statistics, Coaching & Free Comments

The beauty of basketball is back

With the London Olympic and Paralympic Games, it was a more fulfilling summer than most for basketball fans, giving those of us who love the sport a steady fix of competitive play when we would otherwise be looking ahead.

We got to see the brilliance of LeBron James and Patrick Anderson as they dominated their respective tournaments. We saw the German women shed the bridesmaid label with their first major championship.

The gift of London was fleeting though. We need more.

It’s that time of year here in the US of A now. The air is getting cooler and the leaves are changing colors. While the distractions of college football and the NFL are still in motion, basketball is beginning in earnest.

The NBA season opens this week. College programs have all begun official practice and where I come from, in North Carolina, that’s almost a religious holiday.

Collegiate wheelchair basketball teams, on the other hand, are already in season. The men’s and women’s teams at the University of Illinois, the spiritual cornerstone for wheelchair basketball opened their first weekend of play against Southwest Minnesota State University going a collective 4-0.

On the international front, important regional competitions have already been played.

The Kitakyushu International Wheelchair Basketball Tournament of Champions was played this past weekend in Japan featuring the Dallas Wheelchair Mavericks (USA), Wollongong Roller Hawks (AUS), Galatasaray (TUR), and MAX Miyagi (JAP). The boys from Istanbul took home top honors with the Japanese side second in a 67-48 final while Dallas claimed third after avenging a previous loss to the Aussies 68-46.

Galatasaray were easily the class of the tournament, winning their four games by an average margin of just over 31 points with the closest being 19 in the final.

On another island far far away was the Central American and Caribbean Wheelchair Basketball Regional Finals.

It was played in San Juan, Puerto Rico where Mexico held off the hosts 61-56 for the gold medal. Mexico was led by Saul Garcia with 22, Manuel Ortega with 15 and Carlos Diaz with 14 while Carlos Ocasio with 21 and Jose Calderon with 16 paced  Puerto Rico. In the bronze medal match, El Salvador topped Nicaragua 62-48 behind Rafael Melgar’s 32 points.

All four teams advance to the Americas Cup in 2013 where they will compete for one of the four spots the available for the 2014 World Championships that will be held in Korea.

Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan congratulates David Kiley, an honoree at the NBA team’s My Hero Gala. Kiley is head coach of the USA Women’s National Wheelchair Basketball Team as well as the Charlotte Rollin’ Bobcats junior teams. Photo: Charlotte Bobcats/Bob Leverone

Also this past weekend, the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats and team owner Michael Jordan held their fifth My Hero Gala, an event created to support the Cats Care Foundation, which focuses on improving health and education while battling hunger in the community.

One honoree was USA Paralympic women’s team coach and National Wheelchair Basketball Association (NWBA) Hall of Famer David Kiley. Along with his national team duties, Kiley has been the head coach for the local Charlotte Rollin’ Bobcats junior teams.

“I’ve been on the front line of basketball my entire life,” said Kiley.

“I’m blessed to have kids who call me coach,” he followed, evoking the spirit of the great teacher of the game John Wooden, who chronicled his philosophies of basketball and life in a book titled, “They Call Me Coach”.

And this is where it all comes together. Some of the kids who have called Kiley coach include Illinois players Jacob Tyree and Lindsey Good, both former junior Bobcats, and Galatasaray’s Matt Scott.

Kiley went on to summarize why the game is so compelling for most of us.

“The beauty is in the struggle. We have to be willing to struggle to find the beauty.”

Game on.

Steve Goldberg from FIBA

Visit: The eBA Stats Group Basketball Books & DVDs STORE
bunch32player

« Reply #41 on: Jul 23, 2012, 12:10:25 AM »

Entrenamiento, Estadísticas & Comentarios Libres • Statistics, Coaching & Free Comments

Serbian straight talking from Jokovic

When it comes to self-awareness and having the courage to give a candid assessment of the state of the women’s game in your own country, you will struggle to get a more in-depth and fascinating assessment than the one recently provided by Ana Jokovic of Serbia.

While I do understand the mindset which dictates most National Federations wanting to either promote only the positives or at the very least, try to put a positive spin on things, the interview with Jokovic on the Serbian Federation website was a genuine breath of fresh air.

Jokovic, a former national team star who certainly knows what it takes to be successful for club and country, has been handed the responsibility of overseeing women’s basketball in her role as Federation Vice President.

And, both she and the Federation gave an insightful, no holds barred appraisal of the way that Serbian women’s basketball has faded over the last decade or so. Specifically, how they have drifted a long way from participation at the 2002 FIBA World Championship for Women in China and the fifth-place finish at EuroBasket Women a year earlier – albeit as part of the wider Yugoslavia back then.

Even accounting for the cynics who will hint at political motivations whenever representatives of any Federation speak, Jokovic is direct, very much matter-of-fact and that’s a hugely appealing quality.

“I suppose that we have started repairing the long-term consequences of inaction and the neglect of women's basketball,” she admitted.

“We have improved the financial situation, set up the system, laid the foundations to build something that we will all be proud of.

“But, it takes maybe two Olympic cycles of serious work to get closer to our former successes.

“For the past year I have traveled the length and breadth of Serbia, crossed thousands of kilometers, conducted countless talks with leaders of the clubs - and, the problems are still numerous,” explained Jokovic.

Balancing her appraisal of the lingering problems was a determination to turn things around. The belief and enthusiasm Jokovic had with the appointment of new national team head coach Marina Maljkovic jumping right off the page.

She said: “Marina has had plenty of offers from abroad, but still decided to stay in Serbia, which is a great encouragement to us all since she is by far the best expert in this area.

“We have a large deficit of coaches. The older coaches are now at the end of their careers and while there are several promising young professionals, there is still much work to do and that is why Marina (Maljkovic) is our lighthouse.”

What is most fascinating is that this interview was published at the start of the summer - prior to the recent EuroBasket Women qualification campaign when Serbia managed to spark the process of bouncing back to prominence in magnificent fashion.

Only last weekend they booked their spot for Final Round in France next summer without the stellar talented Sonja Petrovic and with only a partial contribution from the talismanic Jelena Milovanovic who was coming back from serious injury.

It was the ultimate repaying of faith by Maljkovic and the Serbian players, perhaps taking some inspiration from Jokovic who, when asked about the injury crisis prior to the summer qualifiers simply said:  “I will repeat once again, I’m not looking for an alibi with the many injuries. Anyone who understands a little bit of women's basketball knows what handicap the lack of these players brings, but I am convinced Coach Maljkovic will find alternatives to make sure their absence is felt less.”

It’s undeniable Maljkovic and the players certainly did ensure the absence of ‘star-dust’ had a negligible impact and it’s also the case that with this kind of strong leadership from Jokavic, Serbian women’s basketball has a real driving force behind it.

Next on the agenda though is the biggest aim of all. A mission which may seem unlikely but remains close to the heart of Jokovic who will be looking on at forthcoming events in London with a degree of envy - but simultaneously fuelling her ambition for the future of women’s basketball in Serbia.

“I have done almost all the goals in my playing career from winning titles, cups, individual prizes and playing with the national team in major competitions but the Olympics remains an unfulfilled dream," she declared.

“I believe that this young generation of our basketball players, led by Marina Maljkovic, can still make progress and my wish is to be seriously involved in the placement of the fight for Rio 2016.

“I know that this goal is not easy, but if we all believe that this is possible, then it’s already a huge step towards its realization.”

With the determination and direction of Jokovic at the helm, the coaching talent of a young play-caller like Maljkovic and the commitment of the players who deserve the utmost praise in reaching France next year, the Rio Olympic notion is perhaps not quite as fanciful as some people might think.

Paul Nilsen from FIBA

Visit: The eBA Stats Group Portal
eurocoach

« Reply #40 on: Apr 13, 2012, 05:54:12 AM »

Entrenamiento, Estadísticas & Comentarios Libres • Statistics, Coaching & Free Comments

The Moment

What’s the greatest thing you’ve ever seen in a basketball game?

If you’re reading this on FIBA.com, and you know who you are, most likely you’re a fan of the game. There are myriad reasons why any of us enjoy it. Some appreciate the individual expression it allows while others cherish the teamwork it engenders.

With networks dedicated to it and thousands of games on TV all the time, why do we go to basketball games in person? No matter how big the screen nor however awesomely rockin’ your surround sound audio system is, your television can’t deliver the excitement of being there live, at the arena, in the crowd.

For me, perhaps for you as well, it’s the anticipation of the moment…that point in time when something spectacular will happen, a “Did you just see that!” event which will live as long as we can draw enough breath to tell the story one more time.

We go to the games for the same reason people fish, the chance of catching a big one, and then trying to do it again. I’ve been fortunate to see a good many wow moments over the years but if I had to pick one, I can tell you exactly what the best thing I’ve ever seen in person was.

I was in Sydney, Australia, covering the 2000 Paralympic Games. 122 countries, 3,881 athletes, 1.2 million fans and more than 300 world and Paralympic records set. It was the tenth and next to last day of the games and the much-anticipated basketball medal matches.

It hadn’t played out the way the home crowd would have wanted. The Aussie women had taken silver behind the dominant Canadians but their men’s team, the Rollers, surprise gold medalists four years prior in Atlanta, had crashed out in the Quarter-Finals to the USA, who they had upset in the 1996 semis, finishing fifth.

It was the evening of October 28th, the Bronze Medal Game between the national wheelchair basketball teams of the USA and Great Britain. Six days earlier, the Brits and Yanks had gone to overtime in preliminary round play with the former colonists winning 74-65.

Bronze medal matches are always bittersweet. The Americans had fought back from a double-digit deficit to pull within three points of the Netherlands and the ball in hand as their Semi-Final game wound down. An offensive rebound off a missed three-pointer let Jeff Glasbrenner cut that to one but time would run out on the American dream.

The Brits had their own disappointment. After taking silver in Atlanta, they too had hoped for another shot at gold. Ask any athlete who’s worked so hard for this - a bronze medal is still better than none.

The Sydney Superdome was packed with 16,400 raucous fans, a sellout just as the Olympic medal games had been a few weeks earlier. Perhaps no other country has sports fans like Australia – they love and respect their sport and give all competitors their due - and the Olympic and Paralympic games would do just fine if that was their permanent home.

As the game drew to a close, the bronze medal was still up for grabs. With a scant 24 seconds left and the game tied at 54, the Brits had the ball and were pushing up the court, looking for the last shot. The American defense lapsed and gave up an open layup with just over six seconds to play. The ball glanced slightly off the backboard and rolled across that flat piece of metal that separates the hoop.

How long is a second? Sometimes it can feel like a lifetime.

It seemed to hang there forever before it rolled off the left side of the rim into the sure hands of the USA’s Will Waller. Caught between two Brits, he had to use all of his height and width and elbows to protect the ball.

The clock read 5.7 seconds; 5.7 seconds to go 90 feet. 54-54. It looked like another overtime game.

Twisting between the two defenders, Waller released the ball to point guard Eric Barber who was waiting at the top of the lane. Barber looked upcourt and saw Paul Schulte, the youngest member of the American squad. With a tall defender in the way, he lobbed a pass as the seconds continued to fall off the clock by chunks. Surely it would run out too soon.

4.7… 4.6… 4.5…

With two strong pushes, Schulte was moving at speed and gathered the pass from Barber about six feet in from the left sideline as the clock ticked down to 2.5 seconds. His hands instinctively went into shooting position as his momentum carried him across halfcourt.

There were two teammates closer to the hoop but no time to pass. Great Britain’s ace Jon Pollock, at the top of the key, realized this as well and pushed across to cut Schulte off. His chair still rolling forward as if going downhill, Schulte tucked his elbow in and started to pull the ball up. A collision, and a foul that would put the Americans’ best shooter on the line, looked imminent.

1.3… 1.2…

Pollock wouldn’t get there in time and veered to avoid the foul. Now, Paul Schulte is long recognized as one of the purest shooters in the wheelchair game but here he was 40 feet away from the basket, 35 feet, 30 feet and closing.

As Pollock charged forward, wishing desperately for his arms to grow longer, Schulte launched the ball towards the basket with 1.1 on the clock. In my mind, the shot was released from at least 40 feet but video of the moment shows that it was more like 25.

Still, he was rolling forward and sitting down for God’s sake.

Reaching its apogee, it began to fall and, as the clock expired, glanced off the back of the rim into the net.

Schulte says it’s the kind of moment you dream about as a kid, shooting in the driveway or the gym when no one else is there.

This time though, more than 16,000 people were there and they suddenly remembered to breathe again and leapt to their feet screaming, realizing they had just witnessed the greatest thing they might ever see on a basketball court. The Gold Medal Game was relegated to an afterthought.

The American bench rushed the court, meeting their teammates in a dog pile of metal and flesh as shocked British players looked around in despair and disbelief.

Up in the press tribune, I too was screaming, enough to lose my voice for three days. No cheering in the press box, they say. It’s not professional. Yeah, sure, the hell with that.

This was the greatest thing I had ever seen.  What’s yours?

Steve Goldberg from FIBA

Visit: The Basketball Statistics Blogs
Strud El 212

« Reply #39 on: Jul 20, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »

"The rest of the world is catching up"

George Raveling knows a bit about basketball, after all he has been involved in the sport for more than half a century and has worked as a coach (Washington State University, University of Iowa and University of Southern California), a commentator (CBS News, Fox Sports) and is currently Director for International Basketball for Nike. He has published two books on basketball “War on the Boards” and “A Rebounder's Workshop”.

FIBA.com caught up with Raveling, who attended this summer’s FIBA U19 World Championship in Latvia and asked him to share his impressions of the Championship and youth basketball.

FIBA: You have been closely following international youth competitions for years. You were present at the 2010 FIBA U17 World Championship in Hamburg and have attended the last two FIBA U19 World Championships. Is youth basketball evolving?

George Raveling: You continue to see a higher level of the skills worldwide. The rest of the world is catching up with the United States. I’ve been really impressed with the continuous growth of basketball in Lithuania, Serbia, Turkey, Croatia…

I think there are a lot of countries investing time in basketball and you see the positive results. This is really good for basketball, which should be a global game. The next step should be to unify the rules in the whole world: we already have three types of rules in the US, high school, College and NBA and we should all play the same game.

FIBA: How do you judge the level of the competition in Latvia?

Raveling: It’s really good and I’m sure that 10 to 15 players will be playing in the best leagues in the world soon, provided they continue to improve their skills. The coaching has also got better, the execution has been good. The fact that USA did not medal in this competition is a clear sign that even the USA team has to bring the best team possible and execute at its highest level in order to be successful.

Serbia is for me the best example and they should get more credit. They finished in the final four in the World Championship last year, and they are always among the best: 5th in Hamburg, 2nd in Latvia. That is clearly a result of the work they are doing in Serbia at all levels. Lithuania is another great example and I fully expect to see Lithuania continue to be a major force on global basketball at all ages.

FIBA: The dominance of the USA is no longer as clear as it was in the past. Is the gap getting smaller?

Raveling: I believe the USA talent level continues to grow, but in smaller proportion than it did in the past. Other countries are putting more emphasis on basketball, investing money for the training, facilities, competitions… and this contributes to the growth of the game. And FIBA is doing also a good job in promoting the sport all around the world with different projects.

FIBA: Like 3x3 basketball, for instance?

Raveling: Exactly, the new 3x3 competition is a noble idea and I think it will grow the participation in Basketball. It’s positive that FIBA is the leader and the promoter of the discipline: it will help women’s basketball and give a huge opportunity for the emerging markets geographically to have participation. In 3x3, size is not as important and you will see teams in South East Asia, China… and those regions, being able to compete at a highest level.

You just need 3-4 good players, not 12… This discipline might also help certain countries to identify talents that they did not realize were available. This will eventually help to grow the game on a global approach. It’s a positive step in the right direction

FIBA: A lot of players claim that they improve when they have a chance to play in international competitions. Would you share this view?

Sure, FIBA is a main contributor to the growth of the game. Providing international competitions for men and women in different age groups offers a chance for the players to exhibit their skills, to compare themselves to others and to measure how far they can go to reach a higher level of excellence.

Particularly for Americans, they need more and more exposure to the international games, the cultural values that come with traveling, playing against other styles of game…

All this contributes to the evolution of the players and is very positive for the basketball on a global prospective.

Please, Support our Sponsors !
We owe a huge debt of gratitude to our generous sponsors for their key support.
Please help us thank them by supporting their various endeavors,
visiting their sites or using their services !

Por favor Visita a nuestros Patrocinadores !
Tenemos una deuda enorme de gratitud a nuestros patrocinadores
por su apoyo fundamental.
Por favor ayúdenos a darles las gracias
visitando sus sitios o usando sus servicios !

FIBA: How important is basketball for Nike?

Raveling: Basketball is the soul of the company. It’s one of the drivers that made us into a successful company. It’s been a long and laborious journey to get where we are, but as we like to say at Nike, “There’s no finish line”.

So we have to continue to test ourselves, test our results and always be mindful that we have a responsibility towards the game, to grow it, to provide it with the best products, the best opportunities to compete and to put back into the game of basketball.

FIBA: And that at all levels of the game?

Sure. Supporting the grassroots basketball is a part of our structure that we take very seriously. We invest tons of dollars, efforts and intellect into figuring out how we can grow the game at the very base level all around the world. We are trying to make sure that we are responsible corporate citizens and that we are not takers, but givers. This is a strong obligation for Nike.

from  FIBA

Visit: The eBA Basketball & Statistics Encyclopedia
moneyball

« Reply #38 on: Nov 05, 2010, 11:51:59 PM »

Entrenando Divisiones Juveniles: El Concepto y La Discusión

( for English Translation= See Below )

El entrenador de divisiones menores o formativas en baloncesto debe entender que entrenar juveniles no es lo mismo que entrenar adultos. Ellos necesitan de más instrucción y mayor supervisión, por lo que la paciencia es ciertamente una virtud.

Cuando se entrena divisiones menores, no necesariamente se debe ganar a efectos de tener éxito. Dejar jugar a todos debe ser el objetivo.

Lo que el entrenador debería hacer es motivar a cada jugador menor o juvenil a dar de sí mismo lo mejor. Esto significa que en el curso del entrenamiento de divisiones menores, se debe dar a todos la oportunidad de jugar. Si solamente juegan los mejores jugadores, entonces los que no lo hacen se sentirán excluidos. En edades más jóvenes, esto puede conducir a disturbar tanto a los jugadores como los padres.

Hay que darle una oportunidad a todos los jugadores cuando se entrena divisiones menores o formativas. Nunca se sabe qué talentos pueden surgir.

El entrenador podrá querer adaptar ejercicios y jugadas de adultos cuando entrena divisiones menores, pero debe hacerlo en una forma que los chicos puedan comprenderlas. Debe trata de hacer todo como un juego, más que una práctica para que se mantengan interesados. Con unidades cortas de atención, se deben hacer ejercicios cortos y mantener el sentido de "práctica" en el mínimo posible.

Esto no quiere decir que el entrenador de menores es un "cuidador de bebes", pero si se trata de inducir al jugador juvenil a dar su máximo esfuerzo posible y que estén satisfechos con lo que hacen.

Opiniones?

Visite: La Clínica eBA EN-LÍNEA de las Estadísticas del Baloncesto

Coaching Youth Basketball: The Concept and the Discussion

Youth basketball coach must understand that coaching youth basketball is not like coaching adults. They need more instruction and more supervision, so patience is certainly a virtue.

When you’re coaching youth basketball, you don’t necessarily have to win in order to succeed. Letting everyone play must be the objective.

What you’ll want to do is prompt each child to do their very best. This means that in the course of coaching youth basketball, you will want to give everyone a opportunity to play. If you only play the best players, then children will feel excluded. In younger ages, this can lead to disturb children and parents as well.

Let everyone have a opportunity when you’re coaching youth basketball. You never know what talents you might find.

You’ll want to adjust adult drills when coaching youth basketball, but in a way that children can know and comprehend. Try to make everything a game, rather than a practice so that children stay concerned. With shorter attention units, you may want to make short drills or keep practices to a minimum.

This isn’t to say that coaching youth basketball is a work of a baby sitter, but it is about teaching children to try their the supreme effort one can make and be filled with satisfaction when they do.

Thoughts ?

Cheesy  Translation & Links:  ebastats - the basketball statistics forum

Visit: The eBA Basketball Statistics Clinics ONLINE
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: