Basketball Statistics Forum | Foro de las Estadísticas del Baloncesto
Mar 25, 2017, 12:59:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: Coach's Corner 2015 New Notes & Photos !

Home   Help Search Login Register  

CHAMPIONSHIP PRODUCTIONS LAST MINUTE SALE PROMOTION

Coaching DVDs at Championship Productions

This SALE promotion IS ONGOING !

Check out TODAY's SALE PROMOTIONS! or
Check out CHAMPIONSHIP NEWEST BASKETBALL DVDs!

Recommend O' Site !

If you're using AdBlock PlusIf you're using AdBlock Plus or some other adblocking software, please know that You are free to do so and we shall not try to stop you.
If you're using AdBlock Plus

Just know that, although you are clearly not interested in clicking any of the advertisements on this website, ad-blocking prevents us from continuing to produce the content we do provide free of charge, and we politely request you to kindly ‘whitelist’ our site thereby allowing our harmless and unobtrusive ads to load and the impressions counting to run !.

Thank YOU !
The eBA Team

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ¶ Women Basketball Worldwide Stories & Free Comments • Del Baloncesto Femenino Universal & Comentarios Libres  (Read 390960 times)
womenball

« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2010, 07:15:44 PM »

Women Basketball Worldwide & Free Comments • Baloncesto Femenino Universal & Comentarios Libres

FIBA holds inaugural Women’s Basketball Conference

For the first time ever, FIBA is organising a conference specially dedicated to women’s basketball.

The inaugural event will take place this weekend (Saturday-Sunday 2nd-3rd October) in the famous Grand Hotel Pupp in Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic, site of the final round of the 2010 FIBA World Championship for Women.

The interest expressed in the conference so far has been exceptional with more than 100 participants from over 50 countries all around the world having registered.

FIBA expects the two-day event to make for fruitful discussions on the challenges and the opportunities in the women’s game.

"This conference serves a long-time need," said FIBA Secretary General and International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Patrick Baumann. "In order to keep pace with the growth of the men’s game, we have to tackle a couple of issues like calendar, promotion and event management. The women’s game has huge potential and we are far from having fulfilled it fully."

A number of high-profile speakers and experts will contribute to the conference.

Herewith is the full programme of the Women’s Basketball Conference.

2nd October 2010
10:00-10:45 Opening of the Conference
Speakers:
Mr Bob ELPHINSTON, Chairman of the Conference
Mr Yvan MAININI, FIBA President
Ms Lorraine LANDON, FIBA Women’s Commission President
Mr Lubomir KOTLEBA, FIBA Sports Director

10:45-11:30 View from the Top
Speakers:
Mr Larry SENGSTOCK (AUS)
Mr Sergey CHERNOV (RUS)
Mr Jim TOOLEY (USA)

11:30-12:30 Obstacles and Challenges
Speakers:
Mr Milos PRAZAK (CZE)
Mr Miguel HERRERA (CHI)
Ms Lena WALLIN (SWE)
Mr Guy BERTE (CIV)

13:00-14:00 Perspective from Coaches
Speakers:
Mr Tom MAHER (AUS)
Ms Natalia HEJKOVA (SVK)
Mr Geno AURIEMMA (USA)

3rd October 2010
10:00-11:00 Perspective from Players
Speakers:
Ms Esther WENDER (NED)
Ms Katie SMITH (USA)
Ms Anna JUNYER (ESP)

11:00-12:00 Organising a Women’s Event
Speakers:
Ms Lorraine LANDON (AUS)
Mr Jean-Pierre SUITAT (FRA)
Mr Tomohiro HATTORI (JPN)

12:30-13:30 How to Promote Women in Sport
Speakers:
Mr Andrew WALKER (WTA Tour)
Mr Jiri ZEDNICEK (CZE)
Ms Sylvia SWEENEY (CAN)
Ms Daniela BANZ (FIFA)
Ms Val ACKERMANN (USA)

13:30-14:00 Conclusion of the Conference
Speakers:
Mr Patrick BAUMANN, FIBA Secretary General
Mr Yvan MAININI, FIBA President

Please, Support our Sponsors !
We owe a huge debt of gratitude to our generous sponsors for their key support.
Please help us thank them by supporting their various endeavors,
visiting their sites or using their services !

Por favor Visita a nuestros Patrocinadores !
Tenemos una deuda enorme de gratitud a nuestros patrocinadores
por su apoyo fundamental.
Por favor ayúdenos a darles las gracias
visitando sus sitios o usando sus servicios !

From FIBA

Visit: The eBA Basketball Statistics Clinics ONLINE
alexxtar

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2010, 08:29:42 AM »

Women Basketball Worldwide & Free Comments • Baloncesto Femenino Universal & Comentarios Libres

2010 FIBA World Championship for Women: USA v Australia
Does it matter who wins ?

Stella Kaltsidou of Greece has a very good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the two teams most people expect to reach the Final of the FIBA World Championship - the United States and Australia.

The Greeks played both teams, falling to the USA 99-73 on opening night in Ostrava and then losing to Australia several days later, 93-54.

"I think they are totally different teams," she said.

"The United States are better individually, but Australia are playing better as a team.

"The way they are playing is different.

"I'd like to watch them play each other."

Kaltsidou will get her wish because on Wednesday night, the United States and Australia will square off in a battle of unbeatens.

The winners will finish top of Group E and face the fourth-place team from Group F in the Quarter-Finals.

The losers will end up second and take on the third-place team in Group F in the last eight.

Australia coach Carrie Graf says it doesn't matter which side wins this game.

"The result doesn't matter if you win that one and bomb out in the Final," she said after Australia's 62-52 triumph over France.

"It's not about the result, but the process.

"Everything isn't riding on that game so you have to be intelligent about how you play."

Graf said she will not show all her cards in the contest and doesn’t expect USA coach Geno Auriemma to do so, either.

Australia's Lauren Jackson, who had 19 points and 10 rebounds against France, definitely wants to beat the Americans.

"We want to win no matter what," she said, "but we are very well aware of the situation.

"As a team, we need to focus on what we need to do to win the whole thing. We know that on a good day, we can give them a run for their money."

Australia weren't able to play the Americans on the way to their gold medal at the 2006 FIBA World Championship for Women because Russia upset the USA in the Semi-Finals.

At the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, the USA hammered the Opals in the Final.

Both sides have undergone a lot of changes since then, however.

Each has a new coach and several new players.

The Americans do not have the powerful one-two punch of Lisa Leslie and Tina Thompson down low anymore, but they do have Sylvia Fowles and newcomers Tina Charles and Candice Dupree.

Dupree has been arguably the best player in the tournament.

On the perimeter, the Americans are as strong as ever with Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird and newcomers Angel McCoughtry and Lindsay Whalen.

Tamika Catchings and Swin Cash are experienced and very important to the USA, but so are the youngsters like University of Connecticut star Maya Moore, a 6ft guard that is averaging 8.8 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.6 assists.

Moore plays for Auriemma at UConn, just as several other players in the USA squad once did.

Australia have Jackson, Penny Taylor, Kristi Harrower, Belinda Snell, Erin Phillips, Tully Bevilaqua and Hollie Grima from the 2006 team, yet they also have newcomers Liz Cambage, Jenna O'Hea, Marianna Tolo, Abby Bishop and Samantha Richards.

Jackson, the MVP of both the WNBA Regular Season and Finals after leading the Storm to the title, has just come off an emotionally-charged WNBA Finals with the Seattle Storm.

She led Seattle to the title.

"I think we saw signs (against France) of what she did in the WNBA," Graf said.

"She had a turnaround jumper, the rebounding.

"It's still an emotional thing for her getting up. Physically she's fine. It's just that emotional stuff."

The player that really impresses Auriemma, though, was the MVP of the World Championship four years ago.

“Penny Taylor is so good,” Auriemma said.

“Everybody talks about Lauren – Lauren’s a great player – but to me I think Penny Taylor is what makes it work at both ends of the floor.”

There is a very good possibility that these two teams will play after Wednesday, too.

Should the teams win their Quarter-Finals, and Semi-Finals, they would meet in the title game.

If the result isn't that important to Graf, it definitely is for Auriemma.

"There are some teams that play one way when the game means something and they play a different way when the game doesn't mean something,” he said.

"In my trips to Europe, I've seen that a couple of times, when the team - if the game doesn't have any significance - will not play to win all the time and they will try to match up to see who they will play in the next round.

"I don't think tomorrow (Wednesday) will be anything like that.

"I think you've got two teams that really want to win, that really want to beat each other.”

The USA, because of having to settle for a bronze medal in 2006, desperately want to not only capture gold this time but to do so by going undefeated.

"You've got a lot of players on their team and a lot of players on our team that are very familiar with each other,” Auriemma said.

“I think tomorrow is going to be like the gold-medal game. I think it's going to be played like that.

"I know it is on our end.

"There's no guarantee that either Australia or the United States will be in the gold-medal game. We may not play each other again.

“Tomorrow we're going to play to win. I'm sure they are."

FIBA

Visit: The eBA Basketball Statistics System BOOK
Coach Campus

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2010, 04:05:26 AM »

Australia, Brazil and Turkey bid for 2014 FIBA Women's World Championship

The 2014 FIBA World Championship for Women will be held in Australia, Brazil or Turkey, FIBA has announced.

The three countries - who all submitted letters of interest to FIBA within the given deadline of 31st July 2010 - will battle it out to make their cases until the spring 2011 FIBA Central Board meeting, which is due to make a final decision following a close review of the bids that the candidates are required to submit.

Australia previously hosted the FIBA World Championship for Women in 1994 as well as the 1997 FIBA U22 World Championship, while Turkey will be hosting its first worldwide FIBA event, with the 2010 FIBA World Championship for Men being held in Ankara, Izmir, Kayseri and Istanbul between 28th August and 12th September but have previously organised the EuroBasket for Men and Women.

Brazil hold the record in terms of hosting the FIBA World Championship for Women, having hosted the event on four occasions, including the inaugural edition in 1957 and most recently in 2006, as well as having held the World Championship for Men on two occasions and the FIBA U19 World Championship in 1979.

FIBA has also announced the candidates to host the 2012 U17 World Championships for Men and Women. France, Iran and Lithuania have officially expressed their interest in staging the U17 World Championship for Men. Lithuania have also shown interest in the U17 World Championship for Women, alongside Romania, Sri Lanka and the Netherlands.

FIBA Secretary General and IOC Member Patrick Baumann said of the candidates "Although at this early stage we know little about the bids that will be submitted to us, recent competitions have shown that the benchmark for all FIBA competitions is rising with each Championship and we expect this trend to continue in 2012 and 2014."

"The unprecedented number of countries who have shown interest in hosting Championships at Youth level and the success of this summer's two U17 World Championships in Hamburg, Germany and Toulouse, France respectively are further proof of FIBA's decision to introduce a competition for this category," he added.

"It is also very encouraging to see that countries who are not traditional basketball powers are increasingly interested in hosting our competitions. This is a clear sign that our sport is growing. We are very excited and looking forward to discovering these bids."

FIBA World Championship for Women and U17 World Championship
The FIBA World Championship for Women is held every four years. This year's Championship in the Czech Republic will be the sixteenth edition. Australia are defending Champions while the USA lead the gold medal table with seven. The U17 World Championships for Men and Women were played for the first time this year in Hamburg and Toulouse/Rodez respectively. The USA won both the Men and the Women's tournaments.

About FIBA
FIBA - the world governing body for basketball - is an independent association formed by 213 National Basketball Federations throughout the world. It is recognised as the sole competent authority in basketball by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). For further information about FIBA and FIBA Championships visit facebook.com/fibaworld and twitter.com/fibaworld or youtube.com/fibaworld.

Visit: The eBA Stats Group WITH YOU on Google PLUS
freezer10

« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2010, 01:21:35 AM »

I'll make the nation proud of Great Britain Women's basketball team

Women's basketball guru Tom Maher has ruled out turning GB into Olympic medal contenders but has pledged to make the nation proud.

Australian coach Maher, 57, took up the challenge of guiding the GB women's team in May 2009, replacing Mark Clark.

And the basketball chief is now preparing for his fifth Olympics in 2012 when London is the host city.

Maher possesses an impressive CV after leading Australia's women's side to bronze in Atlanta in 1996 and then silver at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.

Maher was also head coach of New Zealand in Athens in 2004 when he steered them to their best-ever performance of eighth despite inheriting a side ranked 115th in the world.

Then he coached the Chinese team at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 where the hosts' team finished fourth.

Now Maher is charged with overseeing GB's Olympic assault and has just held a training camp in Scotland ahead of this summer's busy fixture list.

GB play a series of tests against Bulgaria, Portugal, Belgium, Holland and Israel in the next two months before their Eurobasket qualifiers in mid-August.

But Maher admitted: "I am not going to say to them let's go and win a Olympic gold medal, that would be ridiculous.

"It is the biggest sport in the world for women - it is like soccer for men.

"I don't want to be stupid about it - I want to be realistic.

"It is not about getting in the top three as at the last Olympics there were really only three teams who could win a medal.

"We can't think we are going to go into that environment with a huge history.

"But I guarantee British basketball is really well-organised.

Advertisement - article continues below »

"The programme and backing is professional as you get anywhere so we are taking giant steps.

"It is about respect for us. It is about putting down a stamp and showing you can stand up at this level."

Maher does not have the depth of talent to call upon compared to GB's rivals but believes the nation's sporting ethos will stand them in good shape.

He added: "When I went to New Zealand I didn't know anything about the New Zealand team but I knew they could compete.

"The Kiwis always compete, and compete hard, as it is in their system and culture.

"I expected it to be the same here and it is.

"Players compete so you can always do something.

"It was much more difficult in China as you had to teach them to compete but the culture of Great Britain will make it easier."

Maher has no qualms about being an Australian in charge of a British team and can count on the full support of his wife Robyn, who played at six world championships for Oz.

But Maher still intends to immerse himself in British culture while based in the UK and has been busy swotting up on the nation's history.

"I bought a couple of books," said Maher, who visited Edinburgh castle earlier this month.

"I am a bit of history buff.

"I bought a book recently on the origins of the kings of England and it is really good.

"I tried to learn a bit about China but the books about that country were translated and the translations were so bad."

from FIBA Today

Visit: The eBA Stats Group WITH YOU on Facebook !
wnbaplayer

« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »

The Men behind the Liberty

The men gathered in a circle around the Liberty logo at center court, ranging in age from the 18-year-old high school senior Len Chenfeld to the 53-year-old investment adviser Doug Parker. They were all looking for an entry pass into the world of women’s basketball.

“It's a lot more difficult to play against them than one might think,” Steve Senior said of the Liberty.

Liberty Coach Anne Donovan was looking for more than a few selfless players to serve on an all-volunteer male practice squad for her W.N.B.A. team this season, which begins in May.

“It’s so important that this is not about the ego,” Donovan told them. “It’s about making us better.”

Then the tryout tipped off Monday night at the Madison Square Garden Training Center with 15 guys bringing varied levels of experience, from high school to college to recreation ball.

Donovan put them through drills and scrimmages, watching for talent that could help push the Liberty toward its first league title.

“They’re faster, stronger, bigger, and so they prepare us for the best of the W.N.B.A., just in their athleticism and in their strength,” Donovan said. “The second component is they’ve got to be coachable. They’ve got to be able to run plays. When we’re scouting Phoenix, they’ve got to be able to run Phoenix’s offense.”

Chenfeld knows how to run an offense. He is a 5-foot-9 standout point guard from Manhattan who played this past season at Poly Prep in Brooklyn after transferring from Hunter College High School. He wore a dark blue T-shirt with Brandeis University emblazoned across the front, signaling the Division III team he will be playing for next season.

He flashed into the lane against the bigger, older crowd and hit a nifty one-handed floater from about 12 feet, then swished a 3-pointer late in the first scrimmage. Donovan said she was also impressed with how he ran his team.

“It would be a good experience to go against professionals, regardless of gender,” Chenfeld said. “It would be fun to go against people who get paid to play the game every day.”

Parker played as a shooting guard at Francis Lewis High School in Queens. He did not play in college, but he plays now in pickup games for men aged 18-60 on Saturdays at Blue Mountain Middle School in Cortlandt Manor, N.Y., not that far from his home in Montrose.

“I wanted to test myself,” Parker said, explaining why he was here. “If selected, I do have the time available. I’d love to push myself a little and help the team. At 53 years old, I don’t have much to lose.”

Stephen Mears is younger. He averaged 8.8 minutes and 4.4 points in 24 games this past season as a 6-2 shooting guard for Division II C.W. Post. Mears, from Middle Island, N.Y., is set to graduate next month with a degree in criminal justice. His plan is to attend law school. But there is room for the Liberty in his life, too.

“I thought it was cool that I could actually come down and possibly practice with the team,” Mears said. “At my school, I play with the girls’ team. I help them get better. So it wouldn’t be anything different. I’m used to shooting with a girls’ ball. I’m used to playing with girls.”

That would also apply to David Capers, 34, a Home Depot sales consultant in the Bronx with a soft outside touch.

Capers, who played some at St. Bonaventure and then professionally in Europe and Mexico, practiced with the Liberty during the last two seasons. But it was not the more regular plan Donovan has in store for the men soon after training camp begins Sunday.

“Actually, the first time, I was kind of skeptical because I didn’t know how it was going to be,” Capers, a 6-4 shooting guard, said. “But after playing with them, I respect their game because they can play. It’s real competitive. They try to play a little bit more physical than guys, so that makes it even better.”

Steve Senior organized the group that scrimmaged against the women the previous four years. He is a 29-year-old former shooting guard at Division III Kean who lives in Englewood, N.J., and works in Manhattan as a project design manager for Kids Headquarters. The 6-3 Senior came to realize that men against professional women is not always fair.

“The reason the coaches want you there is they want you to go hard to push them to make it very competitive,” Senior said. “But another thing is, they have so many plays that they know already that if you’re trying to chase a girl around and you get caught on a screen, they hit almost every open jump shot. So it’s a lot more difficult to play against them than one might think.”

The Phoenix Mercury and the Los Angeles Sparks recently held tryouts for a male practice squad, and other college and pro teams have used the strategy for years, including Donovan when she coached the Seattle Storm from 2003 to 2007.

“They come in and sign waivers, so if they get hurt, it’s on them and their insurance,” Donovan said. “In Seattle, we hurt several of them, broken noses and banged-up knees and all that. Yet they kept coming back. So to me, it’s why you love basketball. It’s the ballers.”

In the end, Donovan, who is coaching the Seton Hall women full time after this season, kept 11 men and plans to add a few more to the pool, to ensure seven or eight will be available for each home morning practice. Senior is in again, as is Capers. But Parker did not make it. Chenfeld and Mears were picked.

“Of course, they’re not Liberty players,” Donovan said. “But I want them to really invest in what we’re doing, in our successes. I want them to be accountable.”

When the nearly two-hour tryout was over, Donovan called the players back to center court to thank them for coming. She had the men each raise an arm toward the middle with hers.

“Liberty on three,” Donovan said.

“One, two, three, Liberty,” they all chanted back.

FIBA

Visit: The eBA Stats Group WITH YOU on Twitter !
Roberto Azar
Global Moderator

« on: Mar 24, 2007, 09:35:54 AM »

Women Basketball Worldwide Stories & Free Comments • Del Baloncesto Femenino Universal & Comentarios Libres

( for English Translation= See Below )

Baloncesto Femenino & Comentarios Libres

Leemos en Wikipedia, La Enciclopedia Libre:...

"... El Baloncesto femenino o Básquetbol femenino es de los pocos deportes  que se desarrolló al mismo tiempo que el masculino. Empezó a ser popular desde la costa Oriental de los Estados Unidos a la costa Occidental. Y luego fue extendiéndose a los países de Latinoamérica. Al no ser un deporte de contacto, personas de los dos sexos pueden jugar baloncesto. Esta es una de las ventajas más grandes del baloncesto. El primer encuentro femenino se jugó en Estados Unidos en 1893, y según parece, se redactó un conjunto diferente de reglas para el juego entre mujeres en 1895. El partido entre la Universidad de California de Berkeley y la Universidad de Stanford se jugó en abril de 1895, dos años antes del primer partido masculino universitario reconocido oficialmente. El rover, antiguo juego femenino de seis jugadoras, dejó paso a un juego de cinco parecido al baloncesto masculino a finales de la década de 1960. ..."

Un muy buen punto de partida para el baloncesto femenino es este Portal dedicado a los aficionados al Baloncesto Femenino: Loc@s por el Baloncesto Femenino !

Visite: El Portal del Grupo eBA Stats

Women Basketball & Free Comments

Women's basketball is one of the few women's sports that developed in tandem with its men's counterpart. It became popular, spreading from the east coast of the United States to the west coast, in large part via women's colleges. From 1895 until 1960, the term "women's basketball" was also used to refer to netball, which evolved in parallel with modern women's basketball.

Read more at Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia

Visit: The eBA Stats Group Portal

keywords= basketbal,basketball statistics, basketball analysis,statistics,basketball case study,women basketball,baloncesto femenino
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: