Basketball Statistics Forum | Foro de las Estadísticas del Baloncesto
Apr 24, 2017, 03:52:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: Coach's Corner 2015 New Notes & Photos !

Home   Help Search Login Register  

CHAMPIONSHIP PRODUCTIONS LAST MINUTE SALE PROMOTION

Coaching DVDs at Championship Productions

This SALE promotion IS ONGOING !

Check out TODAY's SALE PROMOTIONS! or
Check out CHAMPIONSHIP NEWEST BASKETBALL DVDs!

Recommend O' Site !

If you're using AdBlock PlusIf you're using AdBlock Plus or some other adblocking software, please know that You are free to do so and we shall not try to stop you.
If you're using AdBlock Plus

Just know that, although you are clearly not interested in clicking any of the advertisements on this website, ad-blocking prevents us from continuing to produce the content we do provide free of charge, and we politely request you to kindly ‘whitelist’ our site thereby allowing our harmless and unobtrusive ads to load and the impressions counting to run !.

Thank YOU !
The eBA Team

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: • *Entrenamiento, Estadísticas & Comentarios Libres del Baloncesto • Basketball Statistics, Coaching & Free Comments  (Read 168325 times)
Coach Ciento 1

« Reply #42 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »

Entrenamiento, Estadísticas & Comentarios Libres del Baloncesto • Basketball Statistics, Coaching & Free Comments

The beauty of basketball is back

With the London Olympic and Paralympic Games, it was a more fulfilling summer than most for basketball fans, giving those of us who love the sport a steady fix of competitive play when we would otherwise be looking ahead.

We got to see the brilliance of LeBron James and Patrick Anderson as they dominated their respective tournaments. We saw the German women shed the bridesmaid label with their first major championship.

The gift of London was fleeting though. We need more.

It’s that time of year here in the US of A now. The air is getting cooler and the leaves are changing colors. While the distractions of college football and the NFL are still in motion, basketball is beginning in earnest.

The NBA season opens this week. College programs have all begun official practice and where I come from, in North Carolina, that’s almost a religious holiday.

Collegiate wheelchair basketball teams, on the other hand, are already in season. The men’s and women’s teams at the University of Illinois, the spiritual cornerstone for wheelchair basketball opened their first weekend of play against Southwest Minnesota State University going a collective 4-0.

On the international front, important regional competitions have already been played.

The Kitakyushu International Wheelchair Basketball Tournament of Champions was played this past weekend in Japan featuring the Dallas Wheelchair Mavericks (USA), Wollongong Roller Hawks (AUS), Galatasaray (TUR), and MAX Miyagi (JAP). The boys from Istanbul took home top honors with the Japanese side second in a 67-48 final while Dallas claimed third after avenging a previous loss to the Aussies 68-46.

Galatasaray were easily the class of the tournament, winning their four games by an average margin of just over 31 points with the closest being 19 in the final.

On another island far far away was the Central American and Caribbean Wheelchair Basketball Regional Finals.

It was played in San Juan, Puerto Rico where Mexico held off the hosts 61-56 for the gold medal. Mexico was led by Saul Garcia with 22, Manuel Ortega with 15 and Carlos Diaz with 14 while Carlos Ocasio with 21 and Jose Calderon with 16 paced  Puerto Rico. In the bronze medal match, El Salvador topped Nicaragua 62-48 behind Rafael Melgar’s 32 points.

All four teams advance to the Americas Cup in 2013 where they will compete for one of the four spots the available for the 2014 World Championships that will be held in Korea.

Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan congratulates David Kiley, an honoree at the NBA team’s My Hero Gala. Kiley is head coach of the USA Women’s National Wheelchair Basketball Team as well as the Charlotte Rollin’ Bobcats junior teams. Photo: Charlotte Bobcats/Bob Leverone

Also this past weekend, the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats and team owner Michael Jordan held their fifth My Hero Gala, an event created to support the Cats Care Foundation, which focuses on improving health and education while battling hunger in the community.

One honoree was USA Paralympic women’s team coach and National Wheelchair Basketball Association (NWBA) Hall of Famer David Kiley. Along with his national team duties, Kiley has been the head coach for the local Charlotte Rollin’ Bobcats junior teams.

“I’ve been on the front line of basketball my entire life,” said Kiley.

“I’m blessed to have kids who call me coach,” he followed, evoking the spirit of the great teacher of the game John Wooden, who chronicled his philosophies of basketball and life in a book titled, “They Call Me Coach”.

And this is where it all comes together. Some of the kids who have called Kiley coach include Illinois players Jacob Tyree and Lindsey Good, both former junior Bobcats, and Galatasaray’s Matt Scott.

Kiley went on to summarize why the game is so compelling for most of us.

“The beauty is in the struggle. We have to be willing to struggle to find the beauty.”

Game on.

Steve Goldberg from FIBA

Visit: The eBA Stats Group Basketball Books & DVDs STORE
bunch32player

« Reply #41 on: Jul 23, 2012, 12:10:25 AM »

Entrenamiento, Estadísticas & Comentarios Libres • Statistics, Coaching & Free Comments

Serbian straight talking from Jokovic

When it comes to self-awareness and having the courage to give a candid assessment of the state of the women’s game in your own country, you will struggle to get a more in-depth and fascinating assessment than the one recently provided by Ana Jokovic of Serbia.

While I do understand the mindset which dictates most National Federations wanting to either promote only the positives or at the very least, try to put a positive spin on things, the interview with Jokovic on the Serbian Federation website was a genuine breath of fresh air.

Jokovic, a former national team star who certainly knows what it takes to be successful for club and country, has been handed the responsibility of overseeing women’s basketball in her role as Federation Vice President.

And, both she and the Federation gave an insightful, no holds barred appraisal of the way that Serbian women’s basketball has faded over the last decade or so. Specifically, how they have drifted a long way from participation at the 2002 FIBA World Championship for Women in China and the fifth-place finish at EuroBasket Women a year earlier – albeit as part of the wider Yugoslavia back then.

Even accounting for the cynics who will hint at political motivations whenever representatives of any Federation speak, Jokovic is direct, very much matter-of-fact and that’s a hugely appealing quality.

“I suppose that we have started repairing the long-term consequences of inaction and the neglect of women's basketball,” she admitted.

“We have improved the financial situation, set up the system, laid the foundations to build something that we will all be proud of.

“But, it takes maybe two Olympic cycles of serious work to get closer to our former successes.

“For the past year I have traveled the length and breadth of Serbia, crossed thousands of kilometers, conducted countless talks with leaders of the clubs - and, the problems are still numerous,” explained Jokovic.

Balancing her appraisal of the lingering problems was a determination to turn things around. The belief and enthusiasm Jokovic had with the appointment of new national team head coach Marina Maljkovic jumping right off the page.

She said: “Marina has had plenty of offers from abroad, but still decided to stay in Serbia, which is a great encouragement to us all since she is by far the best expert in this area.

“We have a large deficit of coaches. The older coaches are now at the end of their careers and while there are several promising young professionals, there is still much work to do and that is why Marina (Maljkovic) is our lighthouse.”

What is most fascinating is that this interview was published at the start of the summer - prior to the recent EuroBasket Women qualification campaign when Serbia managed to spark the process of bouncing back to prominence in magnificent fashion.

Only last weekend they booked their spot for Final Round in France next summer without the stellar talented Sonja Petrovic and with only a partial contribution from the talismanic Jelena Milovanovic who was coming back from serious injury.

It was the ultimate repaying of faith by Maljkovic and the Serbian players, perhaps taking some inspiration from Jokovic who, when asked about the injury crisis prior to the summer qualifiers simply said:  “I will repeat once again, I’m not looking for an alibi with the many injuries. Anyone who understands a little bit of women's basketball knows what handicap the lack of these players brings, but I am convinced Coach Maljkovic will find alternatives to make sure their absence is felt less.”

It’s undeniable Maljkovic and the players certainly did ensure the absence of ‘star-dust’ had a negligible impact and it’s also the case that with this kind of strong leadership from Jokavic, Serbian women’s basketball has a real driving force behind it.

Next on the agenda though is the biggest aim of all. A mission which may seem unlikely but remains close to the heart of Jokovic who will be looking on at forthcoming events in London with a degree of envy - but simultaneously fuelling her ambition for the future of women’s basketball in Serbia.

“I have done almost all the goals in my playing career from winning titles, cups, individual prizes and playing with the national team in major competitions but the Olympics remains an unfulfilled dream," she declared.

“I believe that this young generation of our basketball players, led by Marina Maljkovic, can still make progress and my wish is to be seriously involved in the placement of the fight for Rio 2016.

“I know that this goal is not easy, but if we all believe that this is possible, then it’s already a huge step towards its realization.”

With the determination and direction of Jokovic at the helm, the coaching talent of a young play-caller like Maljkovic and the commitment of the players who deserve the utmost praise in reaching France next year, the Rio Olympic notion is perhaps not quite as fanciful as some people might think.

Paul Nilsen from FIBA

Visit: The eBA Stats Group Portal
eurocoach

« Reply #40 on: Apr 13, 2012, 05:54:12 AM »

Entrenamiento, Estadísticas & Comentarios Libres • Statistics, Coaching & Free Comments

The Moment

What’s the greatest thing you’ve ever seen in a basketball game?

If you’re reading this on FIBA.com, and you know who you are, most likely you’re a fan of the game. There are myriad reasons why any of us enjoy it. Some appreciate the individual expression it allows while others cherish the teamwork it engenders.

With networks dedicated to it and thousands of games on TV all the time, why do we go to basketball games in person? No matter how big the screen nor however awesomely rockin’ your surround sound audio system is, your television can’t deliver the excitement of being there live, at the arena, in the crowd.

For me, perhaps for you as well, it’s the anticipation of the moment…that point in time when something spectacular will happen, a “Did you just see that!” event which will live as long as we can draw enough breath to tell the story one more time.

We go to the games for the same reason people fish, the chance of catching a big one, and then trying to do it again. I’ve been fortunate to see a good many wow moments over the years but if I had to pick one, I can tell you exactly what the best thing I’ve ever seen in person was.

I was in Sydney, Australia, covering the 2000 Paralympic Games. 122 countries, 3,881 athletes, 1.2 million fans and more than 300 world and Paralympic records set. It was the tenth and next to last day of the games and the much-anticipated basketball medal matches.

It hadn’t played out the way the home crowd would have wanted. The Aussie women had taken silver behind the dominant Canadians but their men’s team, the Rollers, surprise gold medalists four years prior in Atlanta, had crashed out in the Quarter-Finals to the USA, who they had upset in the 1996 semis, finishing fifth.

It was the evening of October 28th, the Bronze Medal Game between the national wheelchair basketball teams of the USA and Great Britain. Six days earlier, the Brits and Yanks had gone to overtime in preliminary round play with the former colonists winning 74-65.

Bronze medal matches are always bittersweet. The Americans had fought back from a double-digit deficit to pull within three points of the Netherlands and the ball in hand as their Semi-Final game wound down. An offensive rebound off a missed three-pointer let Jeff Glasbrenner cut that to one but time would run out on the American dream.

The Brits had their own disappointment. After taking silver in Atlanta, they too had hoped for another shot at gold. Ask any athlete who’s worked so hard for this - a bronze medal is still better than none.

The Sydney Superdome was packed with 16,400 raucous fans, a sellout just as the Olympic medal games had been a few weeks earlier. Perhaps no other country has sports fans like Australia – they love and respect their sport and give all competitors their due - and the Olympic and Paralympic games would do just fine if that was their permanent home.

As the game drew to a close, the bronze medal was still up for grabs. With a scant 24 seconds left and the game tied at 54, the Brits had the ball and were pushing up the court, looking for the last shot. The American defense lapsed and gave up an open layup with just over six seconds to play. The ball glanced slightly off the backboard and rolled across that flat piece of metal that separates the hoop.

How long is a second? Sometimes it can feel like a lifetime.

It seemed to hang there forever before it rolled off the left side of the rim into the sure hands of the USA’s Will Waller. Caught between two Brits, he had to use all of his height and width and elbows to protect the ball.

The clock read 5.7 seconds; 5.7 seconds to go 90 feet. 54-54. It looked like another overtime game.

Twisting between the two defenders, Waller released the ball to point guard Eric Barber who was waiting at the top of the lane. Barber looked upcourt and saw Paul Schulte, the youngest member of the American squad. With a tall defender in the way, he lobbed a pass as the seconds continued to fall off the clock by chunks. Surely it would run out too soon.

4.7… 4.6… 4.5…

With two strong pushes, Schulte was moving at speed and gathered the pass from Barber about six feet in from the left sideline as the clock ticked down to 2.5 seconds. His hands instinctively went into shooting position as his momentum carried him across halfcourt.

There were two teammates closer to the hoop but no time to pass. Great Britain’s ace Jon Pollock, at the top of the key, realized this as well and pushed across to cut Schulte off. His chair still rolling forward as if going downhill, Schulte tucked his elbow in and started to pull the ball up. A collision, and a foul that would put the Americans’ best shooter on the line, looked imminent.

1.3… 1.2…

Pollock wouldn’t get there in time and veered to avoid the foul. Now, Paul Schulte is long recognized as one of the purest shooters in the wheelchair game but here he was 40 feet away from the basket, 35 feet, 30 feet and closing.

As Pollock charged forward, wishing desperately for his arms to grow longer, Schulte launched the ball towards the basket with 1.1 on the clock. In my mind, the shot was released from at least 40 feet but video of the moment shows that it was more like 25.

Still, he was rolling forward and sitting down for God’s sake.

Reaching its apogee, it began to fall and, as the clock expired, glanced off the back of the rim into the net.

Schulte says it’s the kind of moment you dream about as a kid, shooting in the driveway or the gym when no one else is there.

This time though, more than 16,000 people were there and they suddenly remembered to breathe again and leapt to their feet screaming, realizing they had just witnessed the greatest thing they might ever see on a basketball court. The Gold Medal Game was relegated to an afterthought.

The American bench rushed the court, meeting their teammates in a dog pile of metal and flesh as shocked British players looked around in despair and disbelief.

Up in the press tribune, I too was screaming, enough to lose my voice for three days. No cheering in the press box, they say. It’s not professional. Yeah, sure, the hell with that.

This was the greatest thing I had ever seen.  What’s yours?

Steve Goldberg from FIBA

Visit: The Basketball Statistics Blogs
Strud El 212

« Reply #39 on: Jul 20, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »

"The rest of the world is catching up"

George Raveling knows a bit about basketball, after all he has been involved in the sport for more than half a century and has worked as a coach (Washington State University, University of Iowa and University of Southern California), a commentator (CBS News, Fox Sports) and is currently Director for International Basketball for Nike. He has published two books on basketball “War on the Boards” and “A Rebounder's Workshop”.

FIBA.com caught up with Raveling, who attended this summer’s FIBA U19 World Championship in Latvia and asked him to share his impressions of the Championship and youth basketball.

FIBA: You have been closely following international youth competitions for years. You were present at the 2010 FIBA U17 World Championship in Hamburg and have attended the last two FIBA U19 World Championships. Is youth basketball evolving?

George Raveling: You continue to see a higher level of the skills worldwide. The rest of the world is catching up with the United States. I’ve been really impressed with the continuous growth of basketball in Lithuania, Serbia, Turkey, Croatia…

I think there are a lot of countries investing time in basketball and you see the positive results. This is really good for basketball, which should be a global game. The next step should be to unify the rules in the whole world: we already have three types of rules in the US, high school, College and NBA and we should all play the same game.

FIBA: How do you judge the level of the competition in Latvia?

Raveling: It’s really good and I’m sure that 10 to 15 players will be playing in the best leagues in the world soon, provided they continue to improve their skills. The coaching has also got better, the execution has been good. The fact that USA did not medal in this competition is a clear sign that even the USA team has to bring the best team possible and execute at its highest level in order to be successful.

Serbia is for me the best example and they should get more credit. They finished in the final four in the World Championship last year, and they are always among the best: 5th in Hamburg, 2nd in Latvia. That is clearly a result of the work they are doing in Serbia at all levels. Lithuania is another great example and I fully expect to see Lithuania continue to be a major force on global basketball at all ages.

FIBA: The dominance of the USA is no longer as clear as it was in the past. Is the gap getting smaller?

Raveling: I believe the USA talent level continues to grow, but in smaller proportion than it did in the past. Other countries are putting more emphasis on basketball, investing money for the training, facilities, competitions… and this contributes to the growth of the game. And FIBA is doing also a good job in promoting the sport all around the world with different projects.

FIBA: Like 3x3 basketball, for instance?

Raveling: Exactly, the new 3x3 competition is a noble idea and I think it will grow the participation in Basketball. It’s positive that FIBA is the leader and the promoter of the discipline: it will help women’s basketball and give a huge opportunity for the emerging markets geographically to have participation. In 3x3, size is not as important and you will see teams in South East Asia, China… and those regions, being able to compete at a highest level.

You just need 3-4 good players, not 12… This discipline might also help certain countries to identify talents that they did not realize were available. This will eventually help to grow the game on a global approach. It’s a positive step in the right direction

FIBA: A lot of players claim that they improve when they have a chance to play in international competitions. Would you share this view?

Sure, FIBA is a main contributor to the growth of the game. Providing international competitions for men and women in different age groups offers a chance for the players to exhibit their skills, to compare themselves to others and to measure how far they can go to reach a higher level of excellence.

Particularly for Americans, they need more and more exposure to the international games, the cultural values that come with traveling, playing against other styles of game…

All this contributes to the evolution of the players and is very positive for the basketball on a global prospective.

Please, Support our Sponsors !
We owe a huge debt of gratitude to our generous sponsors for their key support.
Please help us thank them by supporting their various endeavors,
visiting their sites or using their services !

Por favor Visita a nuestros Patrocinadores !
Tenemos una deuda enorme de gratitud a nuestros patrocinadores
por su apoyo fundamental.
Por favor ayúdenos a darles las gracias
visitando sus sitios o usando sus servicios !

FIBA: How important is basketball for Nike?

Raveling: Basketball is the soul of the company. It’s one of the drivers that made us into a successful company. It’s been a long and laborious journey to get where we are, but as we like to say at Nike, “There’s no finish line”.

So we have to continue to test ourselves, test our results and always be mindful that we have a responsibility towards the game, to grow it, to provide it with the best products, the best opportunities to compete and to put back into the game of basketball.

FIBA: And that at all levels of the game?

Sure. Supporting the grassroots basketball is a part of our structure that we take very seriously. We invest tons of dollars, efforts and intellect into figuring out how we can grow the game at the very base level all around the world. We are trying to make sure that we are responsible corporate citizens and that we are not takers, but givers. This is a strong obligation for Nike.

from  FIBA

Visit: The eBA Basketball & Statistics Encyclopedia
moneyball

« Reply #38 on: Nov 05, 2010, 11:51:59 PM »

Entrenando Divisiones Juveniles: El Concepto y La Discusión

( for English Translation= See Below )

El entrenador de divisiones menores o formativas en baloncesto debe entender que entrenar juveniles no es lo mismo que entrenar adultos. Ellos necesitan de más instrucción y mayor supervisión, por lo que la paciencia es ciertamente una virtud.

Cuando se entrena divisiones menores, no necesariamente se debe ganar a efectos de tener éxito. Dejar jugar a todos debe ser el objetivo.

Lo que el entrenador debería hacer es motivar a cada jugador menor o juvenil a dar de sí mismo lo mejor. Esto significa que en el curso del entrenamiento de divisiones menores, se debe dar a todos la oportunidad de jugar. Si solamente juegan los mejores jugadores, entonces los que no lo hacen se sentirán excluidos. En edades más jóvenes, esto puede conducir a disturbar tanto a los jugadores como los padres.

Hay que darle una oportunidad a todos los jugadores cuando se entrena divisiones menores o formativas. Nunca se sabe qué talentos pueden surgir.

El entrenador podrá querer adaptar ejercicios y jugadas de adultos cuando entrena divisiones menores, pero debe hacerlo en una forma que los chicos puedan comprenderlas. Debe trata de hacer todo como un juego, más que una práctica para que se mantengan interesados. Con unidades cortas de atención, se deben hacer ejercicios cortos y mantener el sentido de "práctica" en el mínimo posible.

Esto no quiere decir que el entrenador de menores es un "cuidador de bebes", pero si se trata de inducir al jugador juvenil a dar su máximo esfuerzo posible y que estén satisfechos con lo que hacen.

Opiniones?

Visite: La Clínica eBA EN-LÍNEA de las Estadísticas del Baloncesto

Coaching Youth Basketball: The Concept and the Discussion

Youth basketball coach must understand that coaching youth basketball is not like coaching adults. They need more instruction and more supervision, so patience is certainly a virtue.

When you’re coaching youth basketball, you don’t necessarily have to win in order to succeed. Letting everyone play must be the objective.

What you’ll want to do is prompt each child to do their very best. This means that in the course of coaching youth basketball, you will want to give everyone a opportunity to play. If you only play the best players, then children will feel excluded. In younger ages, this can lead to disturb children and parents as well.

Let everyone have a opportunity when you’re coaching youth basketball. You never know what talents you might find.

You’ll want to adjust adult drills when coaching youth basketball, but in a way that children can know and comprehend. Try to make everything a game, rather than a practice so that children stay concerned. With shorter attention units, you may want to make short drills or keep practices to a minimum.

This isn’t to say that coaching youth basketball is a work of a baby sitter, but it is about teaching children to try their the supreme effort one can make and be filled with satisfaction when they do.

Thoughts ?

Cheesy  Translation & Links:  ebastats - the basketball statistics forum

Visit: The eBA Basketball Statistics Clinics ONLINE
entre_nador

« Reply #37 on: Oct 15, 2010, 12:26:23 AM »

Basketball Coaching & Free Comments • Entrenamiento & Comentarios Libres

“Los  lideres  deben  ser buenos administradores,
pero la mayoría de los administradores  no  necesariamente  son buenos lideres”

Ante los grandes cambios  que hemos experimentado en  el  baloncesto  competido en  las últimas dos décadas. Es mi interés señalar  en este pequeño  artículo,  que debe ser  motivo  de preocupación  o motivación  por parte de aquellos lideres o administradores que no  se están  moviendo  en  esa  dirección a lograr  o conducir  el  baloncesto  sobre una sólida estructura.

Por otro  lado  podemos  establecer y  reconocer que aquellas  federaciones  u organizaciones que han levantado su nivel competitivo  en  los pasados años lo  han  logrado por el  liderato demostrado y su  estructura organizacional. También son muchas son  las Federaciones que a pesar que tiene un gran programa  en  desarrollo en  la actualidad, su deseo de superación los ha motivado a continuar estableciendo un Proyecto de Visión y Misión a 5 y 10 años plazo para lograr nuevas metas.

Mientras el  baloncesto   se profesionaliza  cada vez mas  las demandas  para los servicios y participación son mas grandes cada día, las federaciones  tienen que considerar  seriamente  establecer una estructura dirigida por un personal profesional y amante del baloncesto. La  estructura  es la manera ideal  para llevar a cabo  su  estrategia  y por lo  tanto es la mejor manera de conducir al máximo   el potencial  de sus recursos.

FIBA-Américas  y la Academia de Baloncesto  han  venido  contribuyendo al  desarrollo  del  baloncesto  a través  de cursos de capacitación  y clínicas para entrenadores, para árbitros y otros proyectos que van  dirigido  a desarrollar un nuevo formato de desarrollo para el baloncesto en todas las categorías.

Es altamente recomendable lograr  establecer nuevas estrategias para alejarse  del  continuismo  e improvisación. Debemos aprovechar los consejos técnicos y administrativos que nos ofrece el Manual Nacional de Federaciones para brindarle un nuevo impulso a cada una de las federaciones y a sus líderes.    

Los administradores federativos efectivos deben  tener   una visión  clara  de a dónde va dirigida su organización.  Estos líderes deben  asegurar  que su  Federación defina  su  visión  para  proporcionarle las oportunidades a su  personal para desarrollarla.

Es muy  saludable señalar o  recordarle  a los administradores que deben  invertir todo  su  esfuerzo  en un programa  de base para poder cosechar y desarrollar jugadores que serán el futuro  de los equipos nacionales. En la actualidad poner todo el entusiasmo, dedicación, dinero, tiempo en una sola canasta, es contribuir al  estancamiento del baloncesto, por la sencilla razón que no generan jugadores, árbitros y entrenadores para encarar los retos del  futuro. El no poseer un programa  de desarrollo, esta situación  obliga a muchos países a importar jugadores, limitando la participación de los jugadores naturales.

Muchos administradores se preguntan ¿cómo  debe  hacerlo?  El  punto  de  partida o comienzo  para desarrollar un plan de acción es definir  precisamente  donde usted como  líder esta hoy, donde  usted quiere estar mañana  y como  usted quiere llegar. Lo cierto que no  se puede fortalecer una organización  y menos su  programa , sino  se le brinda tiempo  y supervisión , no cuando sobra el tiempo. El baloncesto  moderno exige personal a tiempo completo y un personal  de corte profesional para que el funcionamiento tenga control  y seguimiento.

El  proceso de la planificación estratégica  es “que la rueda gire” y debe estar constantemente en movimiento. Establecer un programa en  papel sin ponerlo en  práctica fomenta un embotellamiento en todas las áreas en el desarrollo del baloncesto. Una vez el  programa y las estrategias han sido aplicadas y en función, debemos preguntarnos “donde estamos nosotros ahora”.

Por favor Visita a nuestros Patrocinadores !
Tenemos una deuda enorme de gratitud a nuestros patrocinadores
por su apoyo fundamental.
Por favor ayúdenos a darles las gracias
visitando sus sitios o usando sus servicios !

Esta acción antes señalada debe  producir una nueva dinámica en los administradores, jugadores y personal en el entorno federativo. Entienda  que es hora de cambios de salir del  túnel de la tradición y entrar en  una nueva etapa para darle dirección al deporte que tanto tus amas y defiendes.

Preguntemos ¿Cómo líder que cosas distinta yo  hecho  en  los pasados dos años para brindarle un nuevo impulso a la organización que yo dirijo?

¿Que resultados hemos obtenidos bajo  el  programa actual?  ¿Está el  baloncesto en  mi  país  actualizado?

No  olvides:

“Nosotros Somos el  Baloncesto”

Victor Ojeda ~ FIBA Americas ~ Jueves, 30 de septiembre 2010

Visite: El LIBRO del Sistema eBA de las Estadísticas del Baloncesto
X32coach

« Reply #36 on: Sep 21, 2010, 03:29:29 AM »

The true meaning of team: Team USA is a real team, not just a group of stars

Now we know, Team USA is a real team, not just a group of stars thrown together as was the case sometimes in the past.

Their youth was more an advantage than a weakness in the end because they recuperated more quickly than their opponents.

Their depth was a decisive quality too as the other teams seemed to tire down the stretch after nine high level games in just 14 days.

One player who never seemed fatigued was the tournament MVP, Kevin Durant, who more than lived up to his budding reputation and who along with his teammates adapted rapidly and intelligently to international rules and referees.

Durant has Magic's height, Jordan's stats and Reggie Miller's range.

He proved to be an all-around player, not just a scorer in coach K's system and his teammates generously and without jealousy set him up beautifully with picks and passes when he didn't just burn his man one on one! Kevin and his buddies give a good image to the young generation of NBA players which is important before next summer's looming lockout.

Durant's mom always tells him to be and stay himself and his heartfelt salute to victims of 9/11 on the eleventh of september vs Lithuania was authentic.

This group of hard workers and quick learners confirmed the complete turnaround of the whole USA basketball program since the naming of Jerry Colangelo as the boss.

Respecting the context and the opponents with a touch of class and dignity that was sorely needed has driven Team USA straight to the top after a bump in the road in Japan in 2006, followed by an Olympic gold medal in 2008 and now a World Championship (which has a better taste than in '94) with a whole NEW group of players.

Impressive stuff! Coach K created a college atmosphere of comraderie between the players and their playful enthuiasm was genuine as egos were kept in check.

Tactically, the coach used more zone defence than in the past and went to a super small ball lineup with success against Turkey's revolutionary new 2-1-2 half court zone press and matchup defence concocted by the courageous coaching genius Boja Tanjevic who got the most out of Turkey's height advantage during the tournament while fighting cancer! I've known this man personally for 20 years and he is a jewel of humanism.

Let's descibe him as an old school players' coach like Serbia's brilliant maestro, Ivkovic.

He prefers to just be considered a coach for the last 40 years.

In terms of leadership, Billups and Odom were great in their big brother roles and Lamar saved his best for last in the final with a precious double-double against the giants on the Turkish front line.

The most improved player throughout the tournament was Westbrook(Go Oklahoma!) who in the end was even more useful than Derrick Rose.

The most under-used player was Kevin Love who always made the most of his limited minutes.

Andrè Iguodala was a revelation on D and on the boards.

I'm looking for all the players on the All-tournament team to have great seasons in the NBA.

In the final analysis this World Championship was a great success thanks to Turkey's passionate organisation,modern infrastuctures and fantastic yet non-violent fans.

Please, Support our Sponsors !
We owe a huge debt of gratitude to our generous sponsors for their key support.
Please help us thank them by supporting their various endeavors,
visiting their sites or using their services !

The players who decided not to come regret their decision now,I'll bet.

Most of the Europeans will probably show up in basketball-loving Lithuania(THE surprise team of the tournament) for next summer's Eurobasket with 2 direct tickets for London and four other tickets to the Olympic qualifying tournament up for grabs.

Whew, that's going to be competitive!

by George EDDY from FIBA

Visit: The eBA Stats Group WITH YOU on Facebook !
entreiner212

« Reply #35 on: Jul 20, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »

Que tiene uno que hacer para convertirse en un buen entrenador de baloncesto?

Es una pregunta muy abarcadora, pero para convertirte en un entrenador de baloncesto, no solamente toma años de experiencia y  preparación  educativa. También debes tener consistentemente jugadores talentosos y poder manejar profesionalmente a los compañeros de trabajo en la escuela, en el club o equipos para el cual tu dedicas largas horas de trabajo fuerte mientras otros entrenadores están gozando y fiesteando con los amigos. En el trabajo de entrenador tenemos un dicho que dice: "si tú  no dedicas horas de trabajo extra, tu oponente exitoso lo ha hecho".

Todo es sacrificio y paciencia. Creo verdaderamente  que para ser un buen  entrenador  no  hay  diferencia  a otra profesión que se haya  escogido  para triunfar. El  mejor entrenador  debe educarse  más allá que el  promedio  de las personas. Estos deben  leer constantemente  buscando  nueva información e ideas que pueda  implementar en sus enseñanzas. Todo entrenador  debe ofrecer  el  mayor esfuerzo   cada día  aun   cuando  no  siente  que está haciendo bien  su  trabajo.

Lo  cierto es que hay  muy  buenos entrenadores que ganan  muchos juegos, pero  no  sobreviven   porque no tienen   un balance en  sus  vidas. Para  ser  un  buen  entrenador que tu  deseas ser,  tienes que sobrevivir  a muchas  altas y  bajas para poder mantenerte  motivado   a continuar enseñando, educar y entrenar  a tus jugadores  sin importar quienes vienen a la cancha a jugar.  

Si tu deseas ser el mejor entrenador de baloncesto entonces aspira a mantenerte activo en todas las áreas de tu vida, mientras te mantienes emocional, espiritual y físicamente pregrado  en  todo  lo  que  tú  haces.

Qué características y conocimientos son necesarias tener?

Muchos  de los grandes  entrenadores  están  orientados  por los detalles, el  trabajo  fuerte, honesto, sincero, preocupados   por los entrenadores  y ofrecer algo  para atrás  de lo  que  el  juego  le ha dado. Proteger  el  juego  de las malas influencias ser leal  aquellos  que te han ayudado  a lo  largo del  camino en  los tiempos más difíciles  y el  haber fomentado buenas amistades que es la fuente  para el  éxito  a largo  plazo, en vez de tumbar cabezas para adquirir un éxito temporero.

Muchos son los entrenadores que piensan   y entienden  fuertemente  que el  baloncesto  se desarrolla solamente sobre las X's y O's  y que realmente el  pre-requisito  para ser un  entrenador exitoso. Otros entrenadores continúan  pensado   y creciendo  sobre las X's y O's  y lo adoptan  en el  proceder de su  carrera  de entrenador.

El  tipo  de conocimiento  que es mas importante  envuelve  el  entendimiento y  comportamiento   del  ser humano como es la comunicación, motivación, destrezas, relaciones humanas  el  trabajo  procesal día a día, de cómo  se trabaja  con un   equipo, club,  u organización  en  todo  su  funcionamiento. Hemos  visto  muchos entrenadores de X's y O's  que no sobreviven   como  entrenadores por la pobre relación  y destrezas  de comunicación personal.

Por: Victor 'Vitito' Ojeda para FIBA Américas

Visite: El Grupo eBA Stats CONTIGO en Twitter !
pre_miere

« Reply #34 on: Jul 03, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »

Bob Donewald, head coach of China since the end of April,
tries to change it's perception in basketball

Bob Donewald has been the head coach of China since the end of April.

He’s already become the star attraction of the national team.

Having coached Shanghai this season in the CBA, the club owned by China’s most famous sportsman, Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets, Donewald made a good impression on the people of the CBA – the decision makers in Chinese basketball.

Looking back to one year ago, China hosted the FIBA Asia Championship but did not have Yao and got hammered 70-52 by Iran in the final.

It was an embarrassing performance, one that spelled the end for Guo Shiqiang as head coach.

The search for a new man began.

It ended with Donewald.

What Donewald has that his predecessor did not is a very strong personality.

Very comfortable in his surroundings wherever he is, Donewald laughs with the reporters in China, who seem to hang on his every word.

When he was unveiled to the media as the new coach of China, he was very serious.

He didn’t make promises about winning games, but said that China was going through a period of transition because the older players, namely his Shanghai boss Yao, were getting older.

In other words, it was time to turn the page.

Don’t count on Yao anymore.

No one can play forever. Yao, who turns 30 later this year, missed all of last season in the NBA following reconstructive foot surgery.

The only promise that Donewald made the day of his unveiling as national team boss was that his players would work so hard that China would be proud.

Donewald has since made it very clear to the players that rules have to be followed and those who do not obey them will go.

The two faces of Donewald

Before a recent practice, Donewald walked onto the court to speak to reporters.

It happened to be the opening day of the World Cup in South Africa.

A female reporter asked Donewald a question in Chinese.

The translator by Donewald’s side said to the coach: “Are you going to watch the World Cup tonight?”

Donewald liked the question.

Practice could wait a few minutes.

He smiled and answered: “I hope so.

“I’ve got to make sure my wife … my wife is struggling with the time change a little bit. So she might kick me out of the room to watch it somewhere else. I’ve got to watch practice first. When I’m done with that, I’ll watch it.”

Donewald then said, “Who’s on tonight?”

After being told it was Mexico taking on hosts South Africa, Donewald, who I thought was from Michigan, sounded like someone who stepped out of a movie filmed in the deep south of America.

“Who ya’ll pickin’?” he said.

Everyone told him, “Mexico.”

He raised his eyebrows and looked surprised.

“The game’s in South Africa,” he said.

“Better root for the home team.”

Then Donewald got a serious question about Zhang Bo, the promising national team player he’d just chucked off the national team because he’d missed an 11pm curfew.

This was the most interesting 20 seconds of the Donewald reign in China.

Did he, reporters wanted to know, tell Zhang Bo face-to-face that he was off the team and did he think of giving him a second chance since the player, according to Donewald, had been working so hard in practice?

Donewald said: “To answer the first part, yes. I deal with all the problems. I don’t hide. If there is a problem, I deal with it. So yes, I was the one that told Zhang Bo my decision.”

A hushed silence fell on the reporters because the jovial Donewald had turned into a hard Donewald.

The coach then said: “As for the second part of your question, this team is going to be made up of discipline.

“Disciplined teams win basketball games.

“Without discipline, we’re dead in the water.

“We don’t move forward. He made a decision. As all decisions, they have consequences.

“He made the decision to go out, he’s got to live with the consequences.

“This is a team of discipline.”

China had a disciplined coach in Jonas Kazlauskas of Lithuania, but he is cut from a different cloth.

Having watched Donewald coach in Great Britain, it’s safe to say that Kazlauskas is no Donewald.

Disciplined is not the first thing that comes to my mind when remembering the Donewald-coached teams in England’s British Basketball League like Leicester, Derby and London Leopards.

It was more like ‘out of control’, at least on some nights.

Donewald had teams of fighters, players like Rico Alderson and Yorick Williams that would go out and play hard and yes, sometimes fight.

They didn’t back down from any team at any time.

When Donewald left England, the sport lost a winner, and its biggest showman.

He returned to America and served as an assistant coach to Paul Silas with the Hornets, and the Cavaliers, before popping up in China with Shanghai before the 2009-10 season.

Like the reporters are finding out in China, Donewald doesn’t “hide”.

There is a refreshing quality about him. He makes a reporter’s job easy.

He’s not secretive, but opens up.

He also speaks directly, and to the point.

As an objective observer, China needed someone like Donewald.

China were soft.

They played hard under Kazlauskas, but they weren’t hard men.

Being blown out in the gold medal game at home against Iran was inexcusable.

They needed to come together, fight together and look at the big teams and believe they can win.

I think the CBA has got it right.

Under Donewald, they will do all three or, in his words, they’re “dead in the water.”

Jeff Taylor FIBA

Visit: The eBA Stats Group Channel on YouTube
eBAstats
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: Jun 05, 2010, 07:40:49 PM »

ADIOS, MAESTRO ! Muere John Wooden,

uno de los mejores entrenadores de baloncesto de la historia

(for the article in English: see the previous message )

ADIOS MAESTRO ! Muere John Wooden ! El legendario John Wooden, ex entrenador del equipo de baloncesto de la universidad de UCLA, con el que ganó diez títulos nacionales de la NCAA, la Liga universitaria estadounidense, murió de causas naturales, a los 99 años.

Según informó la universidad, Wooden falleció en el centro médico Ronald Reagan, situado en la propia UCLA, donde permanecía ingresado desde el 26 de mayo por una deshidratación.

Wooden, todo un icono del deporte norteamericano, también es recordado por ser el creador de "la pirámide del éxito", sustentada en los principios de diligencia, amistad, lealtad, cooperación y entusiasmo.

"El éxito es tener paz interior, lo cual es resultado directo de la autosatisfacción que da saber que has realizado el esfuerzo para dar lo mejor que eres capaz", dijo el técnico para explicar su "pirámide".

El mítico técnico hubiera cumplido 100 años el 14 de octubre.

Bajo su mando, el equipo de UCLA se alzó con el título de la NCAA en 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973 y 1975. Fueron diez victorias en las doce finales que disputó.

A comienzos de los 70, el conjunto encadenó una serie de 88 victorias consecutivas, incluidas dos temporadas (1971-72 y 1972-73) en las que no supo lo que era la derrota. UCLA volvió a enlazar 28 partidos ganando entre las temporadas 1963-64 y 1973-74.

ADIOS MAESTRO ! Muere John Wooden !
Fotografía: Chicago Tribune

Wooden, a lo largo de su carrera como técnico de los Bruins, entrenó a jugadores míticos como Walt Hazzard, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar o Bill Walton. También consiguió campeonatos sin grandes estrellas en la formación, como ocurrió en la campaña 1974-75.

Fue el creador de la 'pirámide del éxito': diligencia, amistad, lealtad, cooperación y entusiasmo.

Tras ese año se retiró como entrenador con un balance de 620 victorias y 147 derrotas.

"Éste es un día triste para UCLA", dijo el rector de la universidad, Gene Block. "El legado del entrenador Wooden trasciende el deporte; lo que hizo fue producir líderes", añadió.

Block alabó las enseñanzas de Wooden respecto al entendimiento del liderazgo y la integridad entre sus alumnos, y la enorme influencia que tuvieron sus métodos entre sus seguidores.

"Su pirámide del éxito cuelga en mi oficina para recordarme cada día qué hace falta para ser un líder efectivo. Fue realmente una leyenda dentro de su tiempo, y lo será para muchas generaciones venideras", agregó.

Entre sus logros más notables destacan su ingreso en el Salón de la Fama del baloncesto, como jugador (1960) y como entrenador (1973), y la Medalla Presidencial de la Libertad, la mayor distinción que puede recibir un civil, otorgada por el ex presidente George W. Bush.

A menudo dijo que tras el fallecimiento en 1985 de su esposa, Nell, con la que estuvo casado desde 1932, había perdido el miedo a la muerte. "Estoy deseando verla de nuevo", dijo a la revista de la universidad en 2007.

El 20 de diciembre de 2003, el parqué del Pauley Pavillion, donde juegan sus partidos los Bruins, recibió el nombre de Nell y John Wooden.

El Grupo eBA Stats Rinde su Homenaje... ADIOS MAESTRO JOHN WOODEN...
y Gracias por Todo !

La nota en Inglés que precede a ésta, pertenece a otra fuente y no es una traducción... vale la pena leerla también !.

Visite: El Gran Debate eBA de las Estadísticas
eBAstats
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: Jun 05, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »

GOODBYE, MAESTRO !

Legendary Basketball Coach John Wooden dies at 99

(para el artículo en Español: ver el mensaje siguiente  )

GOODBYE, MAESTRO ! Legendary John Wooden dies at 99 John Wooden, college basketball's gentlemanly Wizard of Westwood who built one of the greatest dynasties in all of sports at UCLA and became one of the most revered coaches ever, has died. He was 99.

The university said Wooden died Friday night of natural causes at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where he had been since May 26.

Wooden remained beloved by many of his former players, several of whom visited him in recent days to say their goodbyes.

Among them was Bill Walton, whose voice caught as he spoke of the man he hailed as a teacher first and a coach second.

"He's the greatest," Walton said the night before Wooden's death. "We love him."

Jamaal Wilkes said he recognized what he called "that little glint" in Wooden's pale blue eyes.

During his second visit Wednesday night, Wilkes asked Wooden if he recognized him.

"His glasses fogged up, and he had to clean his glasses," Wilkes said. "He looked at me and said, 'I remember you, now go sit down.'"

GOODBYE, MAESTRO ! Legendary John Wooden dies at 99
Photograph: Chicago Tribune

Los Angeles Dodgers manager Joe Torre and current UCLA coach Ben Howland were among Wooden's final visitors.

"I just enjoyed him and the twinkle in his eye," Howland said, noting Wooden told a few jokes from his hospital bed. "I'm just the steward of this program. It's always going to be his program."

Jim Harrick is the only coach in the post-Wooden era at UCLA to win a national championship. When the Bruins reached the 1995 Final Four in Seattle, Harrick repeatedly urged Wooden to attend. He had stopped going after his wife died 10 years earlier.

"You don't know how stubborn he was," Harrick said by phone from Orange County, Calif. "Finally, he did come, and it was a tremendous thrill."

With his signature rolled-up game program in hand, Wooden led the Bruins to 10 NCAA championships, including an unmatched streak of seven in a row from 1967 to 1973.

Over 27 years, he won 620 games, including 88 straight during one historic stretch, and coached many of the game's greatest players such as Walton and Lew Alcindor - later known as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

"It's kind of hard to talk about Coach Wooden simply, because he was a complex man. But he taught in a very simple way. He just used sports as a means to teach us how to apply ourselves to any situation," Abdul-Jabbar said in a statement released through UCLA.

"He set quite an example. He was more like a parent than a coach. He really was a very selfless and giving human being, but he was a disciplinarian. We learned all about those aspects of life that most kids want to skip over. He wouldn't let us do that."

Wooden is the only person to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and a coach.

The eBA Stats Group Pay Tribute to John Wooden ! GOODBYE, MAESTRO !...
and Thanks for All You Have Done !

Click here to read the full article by Beth Harris,The Washington Post.

Visit: The eBA Stats Group Basketball Books & DVDs STORE
americoach

« Reply #31 on: Jun 04, 2010, 02:33:26 AM »

Academia - Transformar el Futuro del Baloncesto es Cosa de Todos

"... No  sigas  por donde  el  camino nos conduce... busca por donde  no  hay  camino  y deja tu  propia huella...!  Luis Lorenzo

Las exigencias que el  baloncesto  moderno nos presenta es motivo  de preocupación   para todos lo que estamos envueltos  en  el  desarrollo  del  baloncesto. Nuestro   deporte es  uno  de vanguardia que necesita controles  y nuevas estrategias para fortalecer su  crecimiento  en  todas sus  áreas.

La evolución  que hemos experimentado en  el  baloncesto  mundial  en  las dos pasadas décadas  se ha  debido  a los grandes cambios  experimentados  en  los aspectos  administrativos, organizativos  y competitivos. Ante esa realidad debemos preguntar: Cuáles  han  sido  los motivos  de esos cambios?  Qué hay que hacer para lograrlos?

Seguro  es motivo  de orgullo y satisfacción  para aquellos que  lideres  y Federaciones que  lo han  logrado.  No es menos cierto , que también  debe ser motivo  de  preocupación  para  aquellos  lideres y  administradores  que  no se   han  movido  en esa dirección.

En  este momento  el    baloncesto  se encuentra  en  una  transición  generacional histórica  que nos obliga a reflexionar  sobre  nuestra actitud  personal   e institucional . Posición  que nos permite analizar  para verificar si  podemos cumplir con nuestro  compromiso  y deber ministerial... Esta acción  evitara  y nos motivara  a establecer, los controles administrativos deseados  para brindarle  una dirección  correcta  al mismo.

Qué ha sucedido  en  el  pasado? Cierto  es que debemos identificar aquellos obstáculos  que evitaron en  el  pasado   un buen  desarrollo institucional   en  muchos de los países donde se juega  baloncesto.  Entiendo  que  más allá de adjudicar  responsabilidades  o señalar culpables, lo  importantes es reflexionar  para identificar  donde nos encontramos  actualmente  y hacia donde debemos  dirigir todo  nuestro  esfuerzo. Vivimos en  una sociedad cambiante  y nuestro  baloncesto  debe ser parte  de esa transformación  social y deportiva.

Al  mismo  tiempo, todos estamos consciente  que muchas organizaciones  han   estados inmerso   en  un  funcionamiento de tradicionalismo  institucional.  Pero también reconocemos  que mucho   ha sido  el  esfuerzo      buscando  nuevas  alternativas y  estrategias  para temperarse al  baloncesto  moderno.  Muchas veces no  se logra por falta de tiempo  o porque  liderato administrativo   no  lo  exige. El  utilizar como  herramienta educativa el  Manual  Nacional  de Federaciones nos permitirá  conocer  aquellas  nuevas estrategias  que debemos implementar para  fortalecer nuestra estructura federativa.

Se nos  ha  hecho   muy  difícil  en muchas ocasiones poner  en la mente de muchos de nosotros  el poder establecer  una nueva filosofía , visión  y  metas alcanzables  para identificar el  camino  a seguir. Es en esa  dirección   que debemos  poner todo   nuestro  interés  y esfuerzo para alcanzar  un alto  nivel  de credibilidad institucional.

Para lograr esa acción se  ha instituido por FIBA-América  el Plan Educacional  para el  2010-2014, dirigido al  componente federativo  a través de un proceso  de capacitación   y motivación  como  estrategia innovadora para el  crecimiento   y fortalecimiento  de las instituciones envueltas.

Urge establecer una  estructura y organización  abarcadora     bajo  un plan  de trabajo firme y fuerte para el  desarrollo del  baloncesto   desde la base  hasta  los Equipos Nacionales. Siempre  pensando  que  "transformar el   futuro del baloncesto es cosa de todos". Es  necesario  envolvernos en un  compromiso   personal e institucional   para hacer una labor   de una manera diferente. Es hacia esa dirección  que debemos poner  todo  nuestro  esfuerzo  personal e interés institucional. El  futuro  es nuestro  mejor aliado pensando  siempre que 'Nosotros Somos el  Baloncesto'.

de FIBA AMERICAS

Visite: El Portal del Grupo eBA Stats
russianball

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 07:56:40 PM »

U.S.-Russia relations: Obama’s basketball diplomacy

President Obama took some time Monday out of his busy schedule to shoot some hoops with 22 Russian kids who are in town to fulfill the cultural part of his "reset" in U.S.-Russia relations.

The Russian youth spending 11 days in Washington as part of the U.S.-Russia Bilateral Presidential Commission's Education, Culture, Sports, and Media Working Group, one of the many such working groups set up by the two sides last year.

"The group will visit American students, take part in disability sports, team building activities, and see the Washington Mystics play to demonstrate how Americans participate in athletics in order to develop life skills," said National Security Council spokesman Mike Hammer. "The exchange aims to establish a lasting dialogue between Russian and American youth."

The trip is being run by the Sports Visitor program, one of the two main programs run by the State Department's SportsUnited outfit. The Sports Envoy program, which sends American athletes and coaches abroad, is also highly active.

This summer, the State Department will send NBA and WNBA players to four regions of the world, with the aim of reaching youth in Cape Verde, Indonesia, Malawi, Serbia, and Tunisia.

The sports envoys aren't going to those countries to send a specific message. The State Department is extremely unhappy with the government of Malawi for sentencing a gay couple to 14 years in prison, for instance, but is moving ahead with plans to send b-ballers to the impoverished African state.

Nor will the envoys necessarily be household names (though Lakers point guard Kobe Bryant appears in a video promoting the USA Pavilion at the Shanghai World Expo). Recent envoys have included WNBA President Donna Orender, current Miami Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra, and WNBA star Cynthia Cooper. Right now, retired NBA journeyman Sam Perkins and WBNA star Sue Wicks are in Indonesia. Former LA Laker Mark Madsen is in Tunisia with former WNBA standout Monique Ambers.

Next month, State will send sports stars to teach soccer in Azerbaijan,bring 12 Venezuelan girls to play soccer in the United States, send basketball stars to Serbia, and bring 20 Russian kids to learn swimming in the U.S. Later this summer, State will bring 20 Panamanian kids here to learn soccer and send 20 American kids to Russia to play beach volleyball near the Black Sea.

from FIBA

Visit: The Basketball Statistics Blogs
england2012

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 02:34:19 AM »

Basketball 2012 'needs long-term support'

Britain would be wasting money if it pulls funding from basketball after the London 2012 Olympics, the secretary-general of basketball's governing body FIBA has warned.

Patrick Baumann, who is also one the International Olympic Committee's inspectors overseeing preparations for the 2012 Games, described it as "a scenario where we (FIBA) would have concerns."

"The problem has been indicated in different sports. I would not like to see this because basketball does not deserve those sorts of ups and downs," he said.

"We feel that now you have 2012 to help the sport in the UK it would be a waste of money if you were not to continue that support (after London 2012).

"You can not expect a sport that is not in the minds of British people to suddenly win medals if you do not create a base for it to build.

"You will be able to get a new team for 2016 and if you modify the funding stream that can hurt the legacy from 2012.

"I think that basketball will show the country that it can perform in 2012 and it deserves the investment."

Baumann is a vocal cheerleader for British basketball as a developing sport. It has great potential, he argues.

Baumann said: "It is important that the funding stays in place.

"What we do not want is for the Olympic Games to finish on Sunday and for on Monday there to be a great split for basketball and for Britain not to be able to play strongly on a European basis.

"Britain should be looking at hosting a European Championships, at the least.

"For Britain to be able to host netball championships and not basketball - that would be just silly."

Baumann is also a vocal cheerleader for basketball internationally.

He is London for the countdown to the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey, which starts on August 28.

With the world's biggest names from the United States and beyond on the bill, tickets are already sold out. Around 350,000 people are expected to attend the world's biggest basketball competition as over 450 million people globally now follow the sport.

The winners will qualify for the London 2012 Olympics.

The event will be played in four cities - Ankara, Istanbul, Izmir and Kayseri - and feature 24 teams, with 288 players playing 80 games. Two new venues have been built especially for the championship.

Baumann, who as a former player, coach, referee, and referee instructor, admits he is "absolutely biased", insists that basketball is the "second best and most popular sport in the world" after football.

He said: "It is the biggest thing we can dream to have. I think that for basketball it is the World Championship that is more important than the Olympic Games because we have the best of the best competing. It is 24 teams whereas at the Olympics we only have 12."

Baumann, who is calling for the number of basketball teams to be increased at the Olympics, said: "We are asking and keep asking to have 16 teams at the Olympic Games. Football has 16 teams at the Olympics and if you compare what we bring to the Olympics, 12 is a poor number for a team sport.

"When you have 12 and you have a place for the world champion and each of the continents, that is at least six places that are already gone.

"America and Europe is where the domination is and Europe will not necessarily be able to get their best teams at the Games."

For the moment, Britain must not miss the opportunity to bolster the sport's popularity by making the most of its school and grassroots success. There is also work that needs to be done before British basketball can challenge at international tournaments.

He notes: "What is lacking is the level after that (school and grassroots) and the structure that seniors need to get to be a national team like football teams have.

"There is not the mechanism that brings those kids to the clubs and raises them in to the national squad.

"I think what is crucial here is that Britain has the core elements for it, which is the passion at the right age level."

from FIBA

Visit: The eBA Basketball & Statistics Encyclopedia
rules_coach

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 05:24:39 AM »

FIBA presents Official Basketball Rules 2010

Following the amendments put forward by the Technical Commission and approved by the FIBA Central Board in May 2008 and April 2010, FIBA has published the Official Basketball Rules 2010 on its website.

These Rules will come into effect as of 1st October 2010, after this summer’s FIBA World Championship for Men and Women.

The principal changes concern the court markings and the twenty-four second rule and are described in detail in Article 2. Court and Article 29. Twenty-four seconds, respectively.

Together with Official Basketball Rule Book for 2010, FIBA has also published the remaining four integral parts of the 2010 Rules, namely regulations on Basketball Equipment, the Referee's Manual for Two-Person Officiating, the Referee's Manual for Three-Person Officiating and rules governing Official Interpretations.

Additionally, the New Court Markings for 2010 are also available on fiba.com

While these Rules and Regulations have been approved by the FIBA Central Board, they are subject to editorial finalisation by 30th June 2010.

Please note that until and during this summer’s FIBA World Championship, all FIBA sanctioned competitions will be played under the Official Basketball Rules 2008 edition.

For the full list of FIBA regulations, click here.

FIBA

Visit: The eBA Basketball Statistics Clinics ONLINE
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: